Question ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16 GU603 - RAM Configuration Question

DinoDinoo

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Hey guys!

I'm going to buy myself a new laptop and I'm looking at the ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16. I wanted to buy myself the 3070ti spec one with 16GB ram already on the board and add another 16GB to the second slot, but sadly they aren't available with any retailer in my country so I'm going to probably buy this spec one:

CPU: INTEL Core i7 12700H
RAM: 40GB 4800MHz PC5-38400 DDR5
SSD: 512GB (+1 free slot)
GPU: nVidia GeForce RTX 3060, 8GB GDDR6 (1425MHz at 100W (1475MHz at 120W with Dynamic Boost))

Now I have a question about the RAM configuration, since it's 40GB filled it's probably 8GB + 32GB, which means that only 8GB is in dual channel an the other 24GB is single channel right? Is that a big performance loss? I'm a programmer working with SAP stuff which uses a lot of RAM and a casual gamer, if there is any performance loss will I notice it? Or is it just worth it that I wait and try my luck next year if the 3070ti spec one with 16GB ram already on the board will be stocked in my country?

Also I will be adding a 1TB SDD in the free slot, if you have any suggestions please add them.

Thanks for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
sadly they aren't available with any retailer in my country
Where are you located?

If you look at the SKU's Asus have for the laptop's range you're looking at;
You'll quickly see that the max ram support is either 40GB or 48GB. The ones that can go to 48GB will come bundled with 16GB's of ram. The one with 40GB of max ram support will come bundled with 8GB of ram.

40GB filled it's probably 8GB + 32GB, which means that only 8GB is in dual channel an the other 24GB is single channel right?
Correct, your ram will be in Flex Mode, when you pair a small stick of ram with a large stick of ram.

As for your ram question, if you want to truly get the most out of your platform while increasing the ram capacity, I'd try and pick up a dual channel 2x16GB DDR5-4800MHz SO-DIMM kit for your laptop since mixing and matching ram sticks can and will lead to instabilities in your OS.