Question Asus router intermittently loses connection to cable modem

glcaan99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hi,

My Asus RT-AX58U router will intermittently lose connection to the cable modem. It's very sporadic (may occur only once in a few days), but once it occurs the only way to recover is to reboot both the cable modem and the router. After this is done, the WAN connectivity is always restored.

After contacting Spectrum, they indicated there were no outages in my area during the times the incidents occur (also, the cable modem Online light stays lit).

Steps already taken:
- upgraded to latest router firmware.
-changed DHCP query frequency from Aggressive to Normal (recommended by Asus).

The modem is the one provided by Spectrum (Hitron Technologies EN2251)- they provided a new modem earlier this year to replace the older model.

Asus escalated the ticket but interested in any suggestions. Issue is sporadic so it's very difficult to reproduce (it also does not appear to occur at any specific time of day).

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Try another known working Ethernet cable between modem and router. Try other known working ports as available.

Verify that the power connections for the modem and router are secure: in other words the plugs at the wall outlet and the corresponding modem and router power ports are snug and secure.

Carefully wiggle all connections - especially around plugs. Determine if power is lost - no matter how briefly.

Any interim power strips, surge protectors, extension cords etc. in the electrical supply path? If so, remove and test with direct power connections to determine if the connectivity continues to be lost.

Get an electrician to check the outlets - could be a loose wire in the outlet or else where in the supporting electrical circuits.

glcaan99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Try another known working Ethernet cable between modem and router. Try other known working ports as available.

Verify that the power connections for the modem and router are secure: in other words the plugs at the wall outlet and the corresponding modem and router power ports are snug and secure.

Carefully wiggle all connections - especially around plugs. Determine if power is lost - no matter how briefly.

Any interim power strips, surge protectors, extension cords etc. in the electrical supply path? If so, remove and test with direct power connections to determine if the connectivity continues to be lost.

Get an electrician to check the outlets - could be a loose wire in the outlet or else where in the supporting electrical circuits.

Thanks for the suggestions! I did a quick look at the power connections. The one to the modem was indeed a little loose. I should (and will) replace the whole cord but I moved it to my other surge protector where it fits more snugly. I'll see if this improves things. (I recently replaced the cable between model and router with a new CAT6 cable and this didn't seem to make a difference.) I'll experiment some more with the power connections. Thanks again!

glcaan99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions! I did a quick look at the power connections. The one to the modem was indeed a little loose. I should (and will) replace the whole cord but I moved it to my other surge protector where it fits more snugly. I'll see if this improves things. (I recently replaced the cable between model and router with a new CAT6 cable and this didn't seem to make a difference.) I'll experiment some more with the power connections. Thanks again!

I wanted to update on this because I spent some time working on improving the power connections to the modem + router. I did see that one extension cord plug was loose in the power strip I was using. I replaced that cord, and installed a UPS as well to make sure modem and router both were getting clean power. For 3-4 days I didn't see an issue but then it began recurring again; it continues to be sporadic but occurs on average once every 1-2 days. Appreciate other suggestions (I haven't ruled out that the outlet itself could have a loose wire, but I also thought a good UPS could filter out fluctuations in the incoming power). I will also try directly plugging the PC into the cable modem the next time it occurs, though I'm increasingly confident its the router (as phone service to the modem continues to function when this occurs).

Reactions: socaljazzdude
Aug 5, 2021
I am having the exact same problem with my Asus RT-AX58U. Mine starts to loose all connectivity after about 2 weeks and requires either a restart or a reset to factory settings to get it working again.

I was just wondering if you ever found a fix? I've searched several forums including this one and Smallnetbuilder's forums.

Everywhere I find examples of similar threads of this model of router failing and requiring a restart at the least to get it going again.

Have you contacted Asus? Did you find a fix for your issue?