[SOLVED] Asus Router LAN Name

SeanAtTomz

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
I have an Asus router with the latest firmware. Wireless and LAN are working.

But, I am curious why connections to the LAN identify the network as "Guest Public Network" and why the LAN doesn't use the Router's Domain Name?

Thoughts?

Solution
The names are mostly crap the windows picks up and then will many times keep them even if you change other stuff. You can end up with different machines on your network using different name depending on when they connected.

They pretty much mean nothing. Your router actually I doubt can join a microsoft domain and unless you have a private DNS server it also is not a member of that domain either.

I know you can change these strings they are in the registry, there likely is another way but I just ignore them.

All the really matters is the IP address of your router.
The names are mostly crap the windows picks up and then will many times keep them even if you change other stuff. You can end up with different machines on your network using different name depending on when they connected.

They pretty much mean nothing. Your router actually I doubt can join a microsoft domain and unless you have a private DNS server it also is not a member of that domain either.

I know you can change these strings they are in the registry, there likely is another way but I just ignore them.

All the really matters is the IP address of your router.

Reactions: SeanAtTomz
Solution