Question Asus Router Name Resolution

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I spent most of last night stuck (obsessing) on a router set up for my friend. I like things perfect, this did not go that way.

I got everything working except name resolution. "router.asus.com" is giving issues, the IP works fine.

My Phone and tablet are set up identically. The have the same settings everywhere. My tablet, the router resolved "router.asus..." just fine. My phone will not. Both on WiFi 6.

Laptops, two fresh installed laptops, identical models. One can rsolve, the other cannot.

What in the living hell is going on?

It is all fake so it only kinda works.

That domain is not a actual valid name. You can check it with the NSLOOKUP command and use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as your dns server.

The only way it works is when the router itself is acting as the DNS server/proxy. The router will see this string and fakes a lookup and give you a private IP. Private IP are not allowed in public DNS servers so technically using tricks like this is the only way to make it work.

It all depends on what the device is using as its DNS server. The default is to use the router as a proxy dns server to the ISP dns server. This is a bad option. Many devices have gone to encrypted DNS which is not supported by proxy and most ISP do not support it.

It is best to always use direct dns of 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or some other large public DNS server and if possible use the encrypted DNS option. You then must use the ip address of the router to access it.