[SOLVED] Asus Router no wifi & WPS keeps blinking issue

abhishekkumarkhms

Commendable
May 22, 2018
I have an Asus RT-N10E router. now this is what should happen: power on>power led on>wps led on>after few seconds wifi led on>wps led off. Now what happens is: power on>power led on> wps led BLINKING>'keeps blinking'>wifi led does not on. so wifi radio stays off. Even when connected through LAN, system detects a connection, but i can't even open 192.168.1.1. asus utility does not detect router as well. i found no such problem online, but read about clearing some nvram by pressing wps button before power on and keeping it pressed for few seconds after power on. only this works, but like 1 in 20 times. so even when the electricity goes out just for a second, for me it takes 10-15 minutes to do hit-and-trial to make it work again.
Is my router fried? (how could be if it works even once in many trials?) Any solutions???

Solution
If you can manage to get into the router setup screens when it works try to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Be aware if the router is messed up and the router firmware does not fully update you will be in worse shape than you are.

It almost sounds like the flash memory in the device is bad. It may not be able to read a saved config on boot and gets stuck.

The router does have a recovery mode if you were to mess up the firmware load but if you mess it up even more just upgrading the firmware with asus factory firmware I would be shopping for a new router.
If you can manage to get into the router setup screens when it works try to upgrade the firmware to the latest. Be aware if the router is messed up and the router firmware does not fully update you will be in worse shape than you are.

It almost sounds like the flash memory in the device is bad. It may not be able to read a saved config on boot and gets stuck.

The router does have a recovery mode if you were to mess up the firmware load but if you mess it up even more just upgrading the firmware with asus factory firmware I would be shopping for a new router.

Solution

abhishekkumarkhms

Commendable
May 22, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Now here's what happens: after several attempts, i get in the settings. I updated the firmware but still faced same issue after restart. Again after several tries, i get in the settings. The firmware is latest now. I connect through LAN and set up the router and internet starts working. Now before restarting again, i Disable WPS through settings since WPS light blinks when its not working so i thought i would disable it when it works. it worked after restart then. I didn't try to go into the settings then to avoid messing anything up again. for 2 days straight it worked fine even through several restarts.
Now something happens. Normally when it works WPS light is off. i now consider WPS light as threat & Since 2 days its off. now i was just affixing the internet cable to the wall to make it look tidy, so i also moved the router a little bit and the WPS light is back on. its working but in my mind i knew if i restart now it won't work but i had to try. i restarted and it didn't work. Same issue came just because of moving the wire/router little bit. so i think whether its actually an internal or rather an external condition that gives rise to the problem.

You always want WPS disable. They should remove this "feature" from all routers because the security is so broken. Unfortunately the router manufactures want extremely lazy and stupid people to buy their routers so they continue to ship devices just so they can advertise magic one button setup.

Still the light flashing may not even be WPS. Many times router manufactures use the LED lights to mean different things when the router is having issues. Just as they make the power light flash at different rates as the device boots. I have found nothing on what a flashing wps means when you have wps disabled.

abhishekkumarkhms

Commendable
May 22, 2018
You always want WPS disable. They should remove this "feature" from all routers because the security is so broken. Unfortunately the router manufactures want extremely lazy and stupid people to buy their routers so they continue to ship devices just so they can advertise magic one button setup.

Still the light flashing may not even be WPS. Many times router manufactures use the LED lights to mean different things when the router is having issues. Just as they make the power light flash at different rates as the device boots. I have found nothing on what a flashing wps means when you have wps disabled.
The router seems to work on different settings when restarted. the wifi doesn't get enabled at all and stupid wps keeps blinking. even on LAN my network isn't recognised like as if the router system can't reach its settings. it feels like when in laptop the windows crashes and just won't boot up. but even after firmware updation the existence of this issue is beyond my understanding.
i guess there isn't a way i can make it work like normal, or someway through which i can remove this wps thing from the hardware side altogether??
software wise i have no option as it is inaccessible at all. even the Reset button does absolutely nothing, which again makes me think that router itself doesn't know what to do because maybe it just can't reach its firmware or settings.
I have tried talking to ASUS tech support guys, but to no avail. they have never heard of such issue... I have bought a new router already for reliability reasons, but i am just curious as usual to know what's wrong with my items and if they can be fixed.

Last edited: