Question Asus router shows 370 Mbps, web test shows 15 Mbps ...

ads1230

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
The router is a new Asus RT-AX68U and I have Spectrum cable (300 Mb, I think).

With the Spectrum modem and the Spectrum router, I get about 300 Mbps. I just installed the Asus router in place of the Spectrum router and speed tests via web browser show around 10 to 15 Mbps. So I connected the Spectrum router again and speed tests are around 300+.

In the Asus router control panel, going to Adaptive QoS > Internet Speed, the test shows about 370 Mbps. QoS is not enabled.

Why the difference and how to resolve?

I didn't know asus put speedtest in the router firmware that is interesting.

This is very strange since technically your pc is using the same exact IP and path as the router itself. You would think it would be the small cpu in the router that would slower numbers.

Do you have another device you can test with.

Some random things I guess you could check. Make sure you have IPv6 disabled in your pc. Make sure there is no DNS setting in the browser. Maybe try to change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 in the IPv4 settings or I guess you could try those in the browser.

Reactions: ads1230

ads1230

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
I did the test again before making any of the changes suggested below - it's better (90 Mbps) but still lower than it should be.
Do you have another device you can test with.
I did the test with a Windows 11 machine and got 260 to 320 Mbps
Make sure you have IPv6 disabled in your pc. Make sure there is no DNS setting in the browser. Maybe try to change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 in the IPv4 settings or I guess you could try those in the browser.
IPv6 was enabled and I disabled it.
I turned off Secure DNS in Chrome.
In IPv4 settings, I set 1.1.1.1 as primary and 8.8.8.8 as secondary.
I rebooted - no change in speed.

Number around 90mbps generally means there is a port running at 100mbps. I know the merlin firmware on asus show all the ports and their speeds, has asus taken that feature yet.

It almost has to be the cable between your pc and the router. You should be able to see the speed in the status of the ethernet port. If it is 100mbps then it is very likely you have a bad cable. Cables can work on some machines but not others. It would be nice if they would just completely fail if they were bad
Be sure to use a quality cable. It only has to be cat5e but it must be pure copper with wire size 22-24 (none of those flat or thin cables).

Reactions: ads1230

TRENDING THREADS