Asus RP-AC68 Release?

trclac

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Does anyone happen to have any idea when Asus might release the RP-AC68 range extender to the market? This appears to be exactly what I've been waiting for, especially given that I purchased one of Asus' newer, high-end routers. However, even as nice as the router is, I still have deadspots in the house, but I fortunately have Ethernet ports in such rooms in which I can hardwire one of the range extenders to extend the range of the Asus router.

Just FYI, here's a short article, for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45640/keep-home-wi-fi-powerful-new-asus-offerings/index.html

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You don't want to use it in range extender mode, simply buy another router and set in up in AP mode, it will be easy since you already have Ethernet wired to where you need the AP.

With the RP-AC68 you will be buying a lot of features that you do not need.

RealBeast

Titan
You don't want to use it in range extender mode, simply buy another router and set in up in AP mode, it will be easy since you already have Ethernet wired to where you need the AP.

With the RP-AC68 you will be buying a lot of features that you do not need.

Solution

trclac

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Thanks. Good advice. However, I would like an Asus dual band router to run in AP mode. Any suggestions as to a specific model? Note that my main router is the Asus RT-AC87, which is also a dual band router. I would like an "AP router" to have similar functionality to the main.

One quick question -- I do have single band APs now; they are set in AP mode and DHCP is turned off. I assume this is the correct setting for an AP?

Thanks again!

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, that is the correct way to set them up as access points.

What you use depends on what devices you will connect and what adapters they have, and your budget for this. If most of them are just N, the RT-N56U makes an excellent AP, concurrent dual band N. If you want AC on the access point, I would go with an earlier model like an AC66 or AC68.

trclac

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Just a quick follow-up, if you don't mind.

A couple of my switches on my network need to be replaced. The switches are un-managed D-Link models. Would you suggest I replace them with Asus switches, since my main router and my APs are now Asus? If so, any particular recommendation?

Thanks!

RealBeast

Titan
I like the Netgear and TP-Link gigabit unmanaged switches. I use a lot of them and have never had issues with either. They use metal cases that help cool them, I've had issues with a number of switches that use plastic cases dying from the heat that is not dissipated.