[SOLVED] ASUS RT AC68R will not factory reset.

jheffy

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello im using an asus rt ac68r, i keep trying to do a factory reset on it, but it the led light never flashes. i saw in a tutorial video holding down the button and then unplugging it, then back, would help, but this didnt work either. I cant remember the routers admin info, its no longer the default.

Solution
Hey.

I was in the same predicament, as I had inherited an RT-AC68R, and the prior posessor did not know the new admin/password combo. I dug and dug through mounds of possible fixes to no avail; even the 30-30-30 did nothing.

I then stumbled upon an answer that seemed irrelative, but worth a shot at this point. The following is what I did :

1. Unplug your RT-AC68R Router
2. Press and HOLD the WPS Button on the side
3. While holding the WPS button, re-insert the power cord
4. Hold for approx. 10 seconds (or until the power LED begins to blink quickly)
5. Release the WPS button and wait for the Router to do a full Powercycle

After this very simple, but still strangely different method of "factory reset" I witnessed a miracle after 3...

Clayto1332

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Do a 30 30 30 reset. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds. Not 10 or 15... Do a whole 30 seconds. Leave the reset button held down and unplug for another 30. Then, with the reset button still held down, plug back in and continue pressing the reset button for another 30 seconds. Then reboot it once more and see if it factory resets. If it does not you may have a bad button or a defective router.

TmoN87

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Hey.

I was in the same predicament, as I had inherited an RT-AC68R, and the prior posessor did not know the new admin/password combo. I dug and dug through mounds of possible fixes to no avail; even the 30-30-30 did nothing.

I then stumbled upon an answer that seemed irrelative, but worth a shot at this point. The following is what I did :

After this very simple, but still strangely different method of "factory reset" I witnessed a miracle after 3 months of struggling. I re-accessed router.asus.com or 192.168.1.1, and it allowed me to complete the setup of the router. I did this again just the other day, because I still couldn't believe it, but so far, it has worked every time for the RT-AC68R.

Good Luck! Hope it helps.

Solution

Chris_NH

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Worked like a charm. Thanks! :)

Apr 19, 2019
Much thanks to you, Tmo-N87!
This worked to reset my RT-AC1900P when nothing else would. The one thing I noticed with my router was when I got to Step 4, I had to hold the WPS button in for about 20 seconds to get the power LED to blink quickly.

Jul 27, 2019
Hey.

After this very simple, but still strangely different method of "factory reset" I witnessed a miracle after 3 months of struggling. I re-accessed router.asus.com or 192.168.1.1, and it allowed me to complete the setup of the router. I did this again just the other day, because I still couldn't believe it, but so far, it has worked every time for the RT-AC68R.

Good Luck! Hope it helps.

Hard for me to believe but "ditto", this worked for me when the normal reset wouldn't.