Question Asus RT-AC68U Issues: Strong WiFi signal, but cutting in and out?

Aug 18, 2019
Hello,

Networking noob here, so please bear with me.

I bought a new Asus RT-AC68U about a month or two ago and had no issues with it up until recently. Lately the internet seems to be cutting out every 10-15 minutes or so (sometimes more frequently), but the signal strength never changes from full. This is occurring on all of my devices ranging from our WiFi devices like laptops, Android phones Google home devices, to my PS4 and desktop PC, which are both wired to the router via ethernet cables.

I had been running stock Asus firmware, but recently switched to the latest Merlin firmware after reading that sometimes can help. It doesn't seem like that worked.

I am using a Spectrum modem that came with my internet/TV package. I'm not sure if this could be an internet issue or if it's because of my router. There are no known outages in the area, but I do live in an apartment complex, so I don't know if that matters. The other reasons I'm skeptical that it's my router is that I tried a Netgear Nighthawk before this router and had similar issues, so I returned it and got this one. Now I'm experiencing similar problems.

Any suggestions?