cjessing

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
Hi gurus

I have the following setup:

Modem -> Asus RT-AC68U router -> Linksys LGS124P switch -> PC/NAS

My connection is 250/250 MBit.

Here's the thing:

If I connect my PC directly to the modem i do get 250/250 but if I go through the router I only get 100/100. Is there some sort of setting in the router I need to set or should I get a new router?

I'm on the latest router firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_3831

Moving stuff from my PC to my NAS is done with about 110 MB/s.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
What you should be able to do now is see which port is causing the issue. The one between the modem and the router or the one between the PC and the router. It should have a gui that shows the speed of the ports.

I know the command I use is

swconfig dev eth0 show

You can also try the ifconfig and ethtool commands.

I have gotten so lazy, I used to know all the fancy unix commands been using windows tool long.
Since you get full speed going pc-nas it means your pc itself running at 1g. Try moving first the pc to the router and then copy between though the switch then reverse it. Then move both to the router. What you are trying to determine is if the the switch-router is running at 100m. The router lan ports are basically a separate gig switch so they should not delay you at all.

If all this test at high speed then it is likely a issue between the router and the modem.

It almost has to be a cable issue since I assume you have everything set to auto negotiate. The asus router itself should have no issues getting 250mbit.

cjessing

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

I've tested the following:

Modem --old cable--> PC: 250/250

Modem --cat6--> Router --cat6--> PC: 100/100

So I'm pretty sure the culprit is the router...

Can I have missed a setting in the router? I did a factory reset yesterday from the interface but in vain. Will it make a difference if I make a hard reset? Assuming there's a reset button on it :)

The reset in the interface is suppose to be the same as the hard reset. Asus boxes are pretty advanced...they have a special firmware recovery image. Because of this the hardware reset process can get messy, it tends to like to go into the recovery mode.

Why you may try is to load the asus merlin firmware. This is a special asus supported version of the third party dd-wrt. That alone may fix your problem if it was some strange issue in the firmware. It has many more options and displays you should be able to see if a port is running at 1g speed or 100m. You have many linux type of commands that you can also try to force the port to cooperate.

I see I have not been very observant where I have been getting things. That is where I down loaded the last image from. I did not realize that
asuswrt and asuswrt-merlin were different and the second was a interdependent build. I though it was the variation of the asuswrt that asus themselves had on their site.

I am going to bet that even though that firmware is not directly from asus they keep a close eye on them or they would make them remove the asus name.

cjessing

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

Unfortunately no luck :-( I still only get 100/100 when I go through the router :-(

Update: In my Sysinfo tab I can se the following for ethernet ports:

Port VLAN Link State
WAN 2 100 Full Duplex
LAN 1 1 1000 Full Duplex

To that indicates that the router negotiates 100/100 with the modem. Is that correct? And if so is there any way to change it?

What you should be able to do now is see which port is causing the issue. The one between the modem and the router or the one between the PC and the router. It should have a gui that shows the speed of the ports.

I know the command I use is

swconfig dev eth0 show

You can also try the ifconfig and ethtool commands.

I have gotten so lazy, I used to know all the fancy unix commands been using windows tool long.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS