Question ASUS RT-AC86U Capping Download Speeds (Ethernet Only), help fixing please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vamosuk

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Hi so basically I have had the RT-AC86U for a while now and its been pretty good helped me out a lot.

Although its now started to cap my download speeds with ethernet not through the WIFI signal of the router.

Basically I pay for 1000mbps and I get around 950mbps when all is working fine on ethernet but recently it has been doing an issue where it just caps itself at 80/90mbps through the ethernet. It used to do this but I found it was when it needed a router firmware upgrade it would do it so upgrading the firmware fixed it. But now a days it just does it without a firmware upgrade being available.

I can fix this however by restarting the router but this happens so often that its not viable to keep doing it.

I have turned QoS off as this caused similar issues in the beginning and also turned the firewall off but I have no idea why it keeps doing it or how to fix it permanently.

This only happens for download speeds also the upload speed always stays the same as I get whenever.

TLDR:
Router caps download speed randomly, can fix with a restart of router but not viable and want a more permanent fix if possible.

Thank you anyone that can help!

Generally the fastest way to get a cable is to buy it from a local shop. Many of the large home improvement stores sell cables.

From what I have seen the cables are about the same price because of the shipping costs for buying single cables.

It lets you look at the cables. Good cables will have marking indicating the wire size and many time will have letters like CU indicating copper. You will most times see the letter EIA/TIA which means they paid to be certified but there have been fake cables from china that put this on their cables.

Most local places since they take returns do not sell junk.