asus rt ac87u paired with Roger's isp gigabit modem/router fine?

Brayden_2

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
I bought an asus RT AC87U router and plugged it into my ISPs modem/router they provide.

I am from canada and my isp is Roger's and I have their 500mb down load package. I was using their modem/router provided which they claim is their fastest out there (gigabit modem/router) and did a speed test from Ookla and claimed I was only getting 50mb. I then plugged my asus router from my ISPs box and tested it from that and got nearly 430mb speed tested but that was wireless. My thetherd connection was only 100mb download.

I was under the impression that tethered is usually the fastest. I am a massive noob to networking but is my ISPs box slowing my asus router. And should I just disable my isp router functions. I have checked my Isp to see their allowed aftermarket modems that are allowed but they are all extremely slow only speeds up too 250mb.

What can I do to make sure I am getting the utmost speed out of my asus router. Sorry for being unknowledgeable I'm just trying to learn. Thanks alot for help and sorry if I have left anything out!

Roger's gigabit modem is Hitron CODA-4582

Link for approved modems for Roger's: https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/200315110-Approved-Cable-Modems-Rogers-Network-Ontario-?mobile_site=true

Solution
This is impossible. WIFI goes on TOP of your WIRED connection, I have no explanation why WIFI would be faster than WIRED other than to blame on testing methodology.

You WIRE plug in directly behind the modem, u should get full speed.

Next if you hook up PC -----(Ethernet)-----ROUTER----(Ethernet)---->Modem, you also should get full speed.

Any of these wire links, you want to make sure they all running 1 gigabit, usually by looking at the lights on top of the RJ45 jacks or signing on to the boxes' management consoles.
This is impossible. WIFI goes on TOP of your WIRED connection, I have no explanation why WIFI would be faster than WIRED other than to blame on testing methodology.

You WIRE plug in directly behind the modem, u should get full speed.

Next if you hook up PC -----(Ethernet)-----ROUTER----(Ethernet)---->Modem, you also should get full speed.

Any of these wire links, you want to make sure they all running 1 gigabit, usually by looking at the lights on top of the RJ45 jacks or signing on to the boxes' management consoles.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS