[SOLVED] Asus rt-ax58u vs tp-link ax50

SIrbig

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Im looking to by either
The asus rt-58u

or the tp-link archer ax50

Both are ax3000 (2402Mbps+574Mbps) bandwith.
Can anyone help me out?

Solution
You don't want to run any games on wifi and all routers will be the same on ethernet.

802.11ax ie wifi6 is already outdated and it only was official in January. A couple weeks ago the FCC approved the use of 6ghz radio band which increase the bandwidth massively so less overlap with the neighbors. This is called WIFI6E. Since it is only a radio band change I suspect we will see devices before the end of the year.

So if your current router is ok you might want to wait a while.....remember the end devices must also be able to use any of this new stuff.

Maybe just buy a $50 802.11ac router since it is slightly better than your current one.
This stuff is way to new to say for sure. They should be the same more or less. TPlink uses intel chipset and asus uses broadcom. There is difference in the cpu clock rates and memory but it is hard to say if this makes much difference. I suspect it depends which if any feature you use besides the wifi. The wifi part I suspect will be extremely close. It would be say if you run something like a firewall filter that you might see differences.

Remember you end devices must have support for 802.11ax and be aware things like 1024qam sound really nice but tend to only work if you are very close to the router.

SIrbig

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
This stuff is way to new to say for sure. They should be the same more or less. TPlink uses intel chipset and asus uses broadcom. There is difference in the cpu clock rates and memory but it is hard to say if this makes much difference. I suspect it depends which if any feature you use besides the wifi. The wifi part I suspect will be extremely close. It would be say if you run something like a firewall filter that you might see differences.

Remember you end devices must have support for 802.11ax and be aware things like 1024qam sound really nice but tend to only work if you are very close to the router.
Thank for the info.
Right now i have an linksys ea4500 and im looking for an upgrade.
I got 2 gaming pc and my wife is doing a lot of streaming.
Im only looking for and upgrade for at least the next 5 years

You don't want to run any games on wifi and all routers will be the same on ethernet.

802.11ax ie wifi6 is already outdated and it only was official in January. A couple weeks ago the FCC approved the use of 6ghz radio band which increase the bandwidth massively so less overlap with the neighbors. This is called WIFI6E. Since it is only a radio band change I suspect we will see devices before the end of the year.

So if your current router is ok you might want to wait a while.....remember the end devices must also be able to use any of this new stuff.

Maybe just buy a $50 802.11ac router since it is slightly better than your current one.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIrbig
Solution
I prefer the Asus routers because they have AiMesh for free. If you have an older Asus router or another one, you can set them up as Mesh nodes, wifi or wired backhaul. Make management of clients and node all very nice into one managment page. Also, helps with handoff when roaming between access points.

Reactions: SIrbig

SIrbig

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
im not sure our pc are wire from a switch to my router, but the rest of my item iPad, cell, tv are wireless. I might be wrong but I thought mu-mimo would have help sort out for the wireless network.

Mu-mimo is hard to say how much real life benefit it gives. You can show it on paper but most people can not even tell when you enable or disable it. It is very hard to say if you transmit at a higher rate and switch real quickly or you multiple signals at a lower rate at the same time if the total throughput is really significantly different.