Review Asus RT-BE96U Wi-Fi 7 router review: A new 6 GHz wireless speed king emerges

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
Uff $700... For that price It should replace my DSL Modem and provide a dedicated VPN Channel for one of the Ports (so that my wife can view Disney+ and Discovery+ on the Roku TV while we are in Mexcio)

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I keep wondering about these antennae...

For all I understand from physics, the higher the frequency the smaller the waves and the shorter the antennae that transmit and receive them. Those protrusions clearly seem made for the 2.4 GHz band, which is what I'd call last resort or what you really don't want to use, ever, if possible.

And all those really expensive office building access points very much look like a smoke sensor, no protrusions whatsoever and the most advanced tuneable antenna arrays completely hidden inside...

So my take on these is that they are mostly, if not completely unnessesary for 5 and 6 GHz bands, unless they did in fact include them there in one tiny corner or another.

But I don't take well to someone who evidently is trying to fool me with a misleading design that is rather unpractical on top.

Perhaps TH could do some research and provide a bit of toungue lashing where it is appropriate?

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I don't know if I consider 25 feet far, distant maybe. I would be more curious about performance through walls. My current NEGEAR RX120 WiFi 6 router performance drops about 50% simply by going into the next room over a closing the door (about 10 feet away with a wall in between). The overall throughput is still higher than 2.4 GHz, but for something that truly needs high throughput it would be interesting to know how much loss will occur with walls in the mix. I haven't played what a 6 GHz band router yet, but I'm assuming it will suffer more potentially.

Eg0

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2015
I looked at it and the 98 pro but for that money decided to spend a little more on a ubiquiti dream machine se and two APs. Much more for your money.

peachpuff

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2021
Guys ... just make sure you keep a handgun nearby incase it starts making robot noises and transforms into a decepticon.
Say no more fam...

Owhf76K.png

Reactions: bit_user

peterf28

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Asus makes the best consumer WiFi router currently. I was a TP-LINK fan, but they completely messed up the firmware/web UI part, support is nonexistent, and there are a lot of bugs (all my smartphones have massive battery drain issues when connected to tp-link WiFi routers !!!).

Asus makes the best consumer WiFi router currently. I was a TP-LINK fan, but they completely messed up the firmware/web UI part, support is nonexistent, and there are a lot of bugs (all my smartphones have massive battery drain issues when connected to tp-link WiFi routers !!!).
Asus messed up big time also. Along with the firmware controversy on their motherboards and issue with warranty claims I am not so sure they are better than anyone else now.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-routers-offline-faulty-update