Divad89

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'm considering on buying either Asus RT-N65U or RT-N66U, but what are the differences between the two routers beside the transfer speed, 450/450 Mbps for RT-N66U and 300/450 Mbps RT-N65U, and USB 3.0 support with RT-N65U and USB 2.0 with RT-N66U, but are the other specs the same between the two routers (beside the memory between the two routers) I'm going to use the VPN server feature within the router, and will that be the same between the two routers?

---
David

John Harris

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

I am currently studying the same decision (65u vs the 66u). The 66u costs about 50% more than the 65u. Although the 65u has USB 3 ports, apparently USB 3 (as well as CPUs and DDR3 memory) produce noise in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, making USB 3 devices, connected to the router ports, mostly unusable (without expensive shielding). Did you purchase either? If so, which and do you have any second thoughts? I'm having difficulty finding a direct comparison of features. I've done a "compare" of features, on Newegg, but this is limited. You basically get a comparison of marketing buzzwords. In this aspect, they are very similar. Only one feature is different, "Dual Link Support". I've been unable to determine what this actually means. So far, I've also been unable to get a direct comparison of the hardware used (CPUs, memory, Switch ICs, etc.).
I've been using a D-Link DIR-825 for the last few years. It has begun to fail (frequent resets) on the 2.4 GHz frequency band. I've temporarily replaced the DIR-825 with a D-Link DIR-655, but am looking for a better router (faster, more features). Since the primary emphasis of my setup is home media, I'm particularly interested in the performance of DLNA, FTP etc.. I have a dedicated 7 TB Home Theater PC, 2 TB HP Media Vault NAS, Roku, Raspberry-Pi, Networked Blu-ray player, Samsung phone, a Samsung Android Tablet, a couple desktops for processing media files, and multiple Laptops. The primary media processing desktop, my phone, the Tablet, Roku and all my laptops connect only by wireless. I have an inexpensive Rosewill 5 port Gigabit switch, giving me a total of 8 usable gigabit ports. Currently, the weakest link in my system is the media processing desktop. I process DVDs and Blu-ray files, then push these multi-GB files up onto the network with a dual channel, dual band internal wireless card. This provides very poor performance, particularly when pushing onto the HP NAS. The NAS is connected to the Gigabit switch, and performs fairly well when receiving media from a wired connection. Writes on the Linux based NAS (running a SAMBA Server) drops from about 22 MBps over gigabit, to about 2 MBps from ANY of my wireless devices. I'm currently researching (learning how to troubleshoot) this problem with the Microsoft Network Monitor. Initial information seems to suggest SMB errors may be causing the poor PC to NAS wireless performance. Long-term, I'll likely deal with this wireless performance issue by placing the media PC where it can be connected to the network by wire, then control this device from a portable device, via remote desktop. Any input would be appreciated.
I'd especially like to hear about your choice of routers and its (their) performance.

Divad89

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I ended up buying the RT-N66U primarily because of the list of custom firmware which are available for the RT-N66U, and because of the VPN support (didn't really find out whether the RT-N65U also supported this), and didn't really had the need USB 3.