ASUS RT-N66u unable to login to router

Status
Not open for further replies.

shure

Reputable
May 18, 2014
When trying to access my router via 192.168.1.1 I get the following message:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

I last accessed my router on Monday or Tuesday last week, when I rebooted it and successfully accessed it immediately afterwards. Now I cannot access it from ANY machine on my network. However, internet performance appears unaffected, since I can still access the Net.

This is not a browser issue: clearing the cache will not work. I am unable to access from any machine, wired, or wireless, and this includes machines with copies of IE that have never even been used, so there is no cache to clear.

I did not change any port numbers or settings on the router the last time I used it (or ever, in fact). Investigation reveals that the router is still assigned 192.168.1.1 but it simply remains inaccessible. The problem is definitely specific to the router, not outside equipment.

I am reluctant to restore to factory settings if I can avoid it. Aside from the hassle of having to set up all my static IPs and port forwarding again, I am concerned that if the problem persists then I will be unable to enter my ISP details and will therefore lose all my internet access, too. But at the moment I am at a loss as to how I can access my router.

Any help gratefully received

shure

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Hi,

thank you for taking the trouble to reply. However, my issue is not normal setup, it's the fact that I can no longer access the router login page, so the advice in the link does not apply to me. There are no settings I can access to make any changes.

jaytmoon

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
I just purchased an asus rt-ac68u to replace my ageing Linksys ea4500 router and am reading up on the issues and facts before placing it into service. From what I've read, unfortunately you may be stuck with doing a factory reset. I hope you have your custom settings written down to refer back to when you get it back to normal!

cbolin

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

Anyone find an answer to this? I too am having this issue.

thurstonx

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Just ran into this problem and found this thread, among many others.

Here's what I did to regain access:

Power off RT-N66U via button, then unplug the power cord from the back of the router.
Go do something else for 5 min. or so.
Reconnect power cord; press button to power on router.
Reboot at least one PC connected (wireless or Ethernet, doesn't matter).
Try accessing http://<rotuer's IP>

FWIW, I rebooted a laptop (wireless) and a PC (Ethernet via switch) and was able to access the router from both. The only device I have connected to the router's built-in switch is an HP Procurve switch. I have wireless NICs connected on both bands.

No browser cache clearing involved. The router is currently running Merlin firmware (RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0.trx), which I really should upgrade.

Hope that helps. It is a damn annoying problem.

cbolin

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

That it is. I could always get back in after rebooting but the problem is I do a lot remotely and am not always at home to reboot the router so it gets a bit problematic.

cnc828

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Hi,

I too ran into this few days ago.

I followed what thurstonx said.

This was what I did:

Power off the router via the button at the back, unplug the power cord from the back of the router.
Waited for about 2 mins to let all the retained power all used up..ie the router is really power off.

Reconnect power cord; press button to power it on.

Wolaaa ... all is back like before...

Hope this help you. Good luck.

cnc828

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Hi,

I too ran into this few days ago.

I followed what thurstonx said.

This was what I did:

Power off the router via the button at the back, unplug the power cord from the back of the router.
Waited for about 2 mins to let all the retained power all used up..ie the router is really power off.

Reconnect power cord; press button to power it on.

Wolaaa ... all is back like before...

Hope this help you. Good luck.

Sam_105

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
cbolin said "
That it is. I could always get back in after rebooting but the problem is I do a lot remotely and am not always at home to reboot the router so it gets a bit problematic."

Not every change we make on ASUS router web page requires hard reboot i.e. plug the cable out, wait, plug in. Unfortunately, it seems like we must create a list of actions that do require hard reboot and never perform those actions remotely. I cannot think of any other solutions, can anyone?

densonsmith2

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
After struggling with the same issue for over 2 hours just adding port 80 in address bar of my browser took me to the proper login: 192.168.1.1:80

Port 80 is the default port for http so I am not sure why this is needed. Maybe it is trying to go to port 443 which is the default for https.

nameneeded

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I use ExpressVu vpn. When it`s on I can`t access the router. Just saying.

trajanmcgill

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
In case anyone stumbles on this like I just did, I think it actually is a browser issue. Here's how I got past it in Firefox.

Menu button -> Options -> Advanced tab on left -> Network tab on top -> then:
1) Under "Cached Web Content" clicked "Clear now"
and
2) Under "Offline Web Content and User Data" clicked "Clear now" (I noticed the Asus router's address was included in the list of "The following websites are allowed to store data for offline use" so figured it may be stuck using offline data and thinking the router was rebooting, failing to notice that it already had.

My problem immediately went away; I could then access the router's login page again.

Matt_Lee

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
This was exactly my issue, and this resolved it immediately. Thank you Trajan!

ubermik

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I have had similar problems with this pile of beta version trash since I bought it

Yes the long power of "usually" works, but only for one login. If I try to log in a second time the thing just sits there with an empty page and I need to power it off again

This is absolute trash for a £100+ router when something as simple as logging into the thing is a pleasant surprise

I get this even if ALL I do is log onto the router, change or even look at nothing except the first screens overview then log out

Wait 10 minutes and try to log in and nothing. Depending on which firmware version it either shows a log in page but never actually logs in after you enter the username and password or just never shows the log in page to begin with

I would suggest anyone thinking of buying a router in this price range looked at absolutely ANY other brand because in more than a year of owning this pile of crap and with several firmware updates the thing still has the exact same software related issues which at best needs to be powered down for several minutes so you can log in, and at worst needs to be factory reset each time you need to log in which is absolutely pathetic

ro0ter

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Simply start private browsing and that should do the trick. There seems to be a HTML5 cache issue in Asus webpages, so that you get a nice message when the router is not reachable, however by some very obscure black magic it interferes with normal router configuration... It happened many times in my rt-n16, as the baby likes to grab and squeeze everything (especially things with cables), and given the fact that he has very tiny fingers, he almost always hits the reset button... When I manage to release his claws from the router it is already to late :))))...

amokuk99

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Enable ssh from web on the administration system page, then you can login via ssh and issue a reboot command. Of course if you dont have it accessible from the outside then you will have to wait until you get home in order to change this. I just had this problem and fixed by doing this.

blueskies238

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Type Run into the search on windows. Then type cmd into the run window and click ok. Now on the command prompt, type in ipconfig/all.
Look at the results and find the default gateway. I had this same prob and could not find a solution. The problem was that my router was no longer using 192.168.1.1, but it was using 192.168.1.50 for it's IP address(after a reset). Once I typed the correct IP in the address bar I was able to connect to the GUI for my ASUS router and restore my settings. Hope this helps. Blessings.

cordoba57

Prominent
May 1, 2017

thivyan

Prominent
May 30, 2017
I have the same issue. I changed some configuration and restart the router . In my case RT-N12D1 and after that I was not able to connect to it anymore. Even if I get a different IP from that computer. The only way I'm able to access the router is through another computer. Then it let me connect without problem. Then you can restore it to default settings. I hope it will work for you

Status
Not open for further replies.