ASUS RTX 2080 code 43 error - white lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2018
Hi,

I have installed a new ASUS RTX 2080 GPU in my build last week and the Nvidia drivers installed and the card was working fine. I played Hitman 1 (2016) game for 1 hr in the entire week.Nothing much done with the card. Since, yesterday when I switch on the PC, I am seeing white lines on my screen and they don't go away. I am able to login and use my system normally, but Nvidia drivers are not recognized and the graphic performance is poor.

When I check in Device Manager, I see a code 43 error for the GPU. The fans on the GPU are spinning fine and the motherboard is recognizing the installation of GPU in PCI x16 slot.

I have tried to reinstall drivers, but to no avail. Can someone please help me?

My system specs are:
i7 8700K
Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming
GSkill Trident Z 32 GB
WD 500 GB nvme
Cooler Master V850W PSU
ASUS OC edition (2 fans) RTX 2080 8 GB

Solution

Try to return it to the retailer first. As I said it depends upon the retailer. Some like Amazon.com or Newegg.com have 30 Days to return computer components...
That is most likely a corrupted graphics driver.

Try updating the motherboard BIOS. Then update the motherboard chipset.

After that try updating the graphics driver again. Download and install the graphics driver from http://www.geforce.com/drivers.

If that doesn't help use DDU to get rid of any previous driver remnants.

Dec 26, 2018

Hi,

I updated the motherboard bios to 0602 which is the latest. Used DDU to get rid of previous drivers and installed fresh drivers from nvidia website. Still problem persists.

Dec 26, 2018

Should I try installing in another slot before doing a return?

Sure you can try it, but it appears to be a faulty graphics card. If it is already generating lines in the display, it isn't going to last very long.

Dec 26, 2018

Ok. Thanks. I have purchased the card on 31 Dec 2018. Should I contact ASUS directly or contact the ecommerce store from where I purchased for a replacement?

Try to return it to the retailer first. As I said it depends upon the retailer. Some like Amazon.com or Newegg.com have 30 Days to return computer components. If they will accept the return , go that route (but do it today).

If you chose to go to Asus, then you will be in the warranty repair /replacement category. It may be replaced by a refurbished part or a new part at their discretion.

Solution
Dec 26, 2018

Hi, I have sent it to the retailer and the card made its way to the ASUS service center from there. The reply that I got is that "when I don't have the latest drivers and I am on a smaller resolution there are white lines". This absolutely did not make sense to me. I said to the guy, my screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 and it is the default through HDMI and I have the latest drivers, still I am facing the issue. Plus, this is a stupid response. The card was not detected when there are white lines. I have never experienced this issue with any of my earlier graphic cards either AMD or NVidia.

They are returning the card to me and assured me that if it doesn't work, will explore other options. I do not know what to do. Any suggestions?

Dec 26, 2018

I think so too. But, the retail store and the asus service center are saying that the card is fine but with an absurd response that I was running in low resolution and outdated drivers. That is hard to comprehend.

Bring it up with the retailer again and explain the issue. The latest driver does not explain the issue. If the driver was updated already tell them so. If necessary install the latest driver again, and then escalate the matter with the retailer.

Dec 26, 2018

I have returned the card. It did not work. I was able to use other cards on my build and they are working fine. They are refunding the amount minus restocking charges as per their Terms and Conditions (which is a loss for me)

I am looking for upgrading my current graphics card from GTX 1050ti. Do you have any suggestions?

I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor. I do video editing using Premiere Pro and After Effects, gaming (mostly RPG, FPS type, not much into racing). I can manage playable settings, I don't want everything turned to the maximum and get over 100 fps. If I invest in something, I want it to be sustainable for atleast a couple of years. Any ideas?

To get most games to a minimum of 100 FPS on a 1080P monitor, then you are in the RTX-2080, GTX-1080 Ti territory.

Here are three good options. Of those three, I would go with the Asus or MSI card.

GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME 8GB Video Card with RGB and VGA Holder, GV-N2080AORUS X-8GC

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932082

or

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DirectX 12 RTX 2080 VENTUS 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137350

or

ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 2080 DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126276

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS