Question Asus RTX 3070 + Asus ROG Thor 850w problem

Jan 3, 2022
Hi everyone

I have new Asus Rog RTX 3070.
Yesterday I could see red blinking leds.(they are close to power cables connected to graphic card)
My Psu is Asus ROG Thor 850w.
I7 10700KF@5100
DDR4 4000 Patriot Viper
MSI z490 Unify
On YouTube video people from Asus saying that Psu wasn't able to power enough graphic card if you have these leds blinking on.
I use 850W Asus Thor with original cables and Seriously ????
This Psu Asus Is not able to power enough middle RTX 3070???

On screen of this Psu max power usage is 495W in full load during playing games.
So there is still 350W free.
Where is the problem??

Something is wrong with Asus quality last time like with z690 Hero last days(catching on fire because of wrong fitted capacitor)

Maby you have some suggestions about my problem with this?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Every brand will have mishaps in their product lineup on any given day and that's where their RMA/warranty department comes into play. As far as the issue with QC is concerned, the pandemic has put stress on pretty much any industry and their manufacturing process, so to meet demands, they might've cut corners her or there...to also add, there's also the fact that products can be faulty out of the box for any brand, more so for others than for Asus but the baseline is that you should see if the issue is indeed with your PSU or your GPU.

If you can, source a donor PSU with similar build quality and wattage to see if you get the same issue...if you don't then you can contact RMA for replacing the PSU.

Jan 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Every brand will have mishaps in their product lineup on any given day and that's where their RMA/warranty department comes into play. As far as the issue with QC is concerned, the pandemic has put stress on pretty much any industry and their manufacturing process, so to meet demands, they might've cut corners her or there...to also add, there's also the fact that products can be faulty out of the box for any brand, more so for others than for Asus but the baseline is that you should see if the issue is indeed with your PSU or your GPU.

If you can, source a donor PSU with similar build quality and wattage to see if you get the same issue...if you don't then you can contact RMA for replacing the PSU.
Thanks for replay
I have second pc with similar components (MSI rtx 3070 with msi Psu 850w) and I will switch cards to check but you know I know Asus since Abit was in the market many years ago and Asus was usually best quality company so it's quite annoying with this problem.

Jan 3, 2022
Oh, it wasn’t clear if you meant on the motherboard, gpu or somewhere else. Yes if it’s the red LED’s by the power sockets of the gpu that is an indicator of a power problem. Contact ASUS support and see what they say, it is a least a ASUS psu & gpu.
Yes I will contact with Asus support.
I'm building new pc now and have Asus z690 Hero (capacitor is in right position) but I'm starting have serious problems with Asus brand and their quality.
It's not the same brand like many years ago in my opinion.
To many issues.

Yes I will contact with Asus support.
I'm building new pc now and have Asus z690 Hero (capacitor is in right position) but I'm starting have serious problems with Asus brand and their quality.
It's not the same brand like many years ago in my opinion.
To many issues.
I’ve seen the reports on that board and capacitor issue. Unfortunately I don’t see any stand out brands these days. A few recent examples that spring to mind are, MSI have had some very bad press for their dealings with the media and trying to manipulate reviews. Gigabyte dealt with their psu issue terribly trying to blame the reviewers.

Jan 3, 2022
Yes, problems with z 690 hero which is "quite" expensive shouldn't happened.
Quality checking wasn't good enough.
I builded many computers so far usually without any bigger problems (was only incompatible memory to motherboard) , now I have 3 pc components form Asus ROG and each one can have potential issue.
Defenitely there is something wrong with Asus brand quality.
I builded full MSI pc for my son and after a year absolutely have no problems.
(He is hard-core gamer)

My plan was build Full Rog pc but I will change plans I think.
So annoying.