Review Asus RTX 4090 ROG Strix OC Review: Truly Massive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the review, but I hate to say this: you missed the most important thing here...

Can you do a proper workout with this card? How many calories do you burn by just unboxing it and then installing it in a case (when it fits)? Can you hold two at the same time without breaking your back?

Regards :LOL:
I'll be following up with my new "90 Days to a Better You" fitness program.
I may have already injured my wrist while trying to install the card, though... ;)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
No one finds it weird that even big OCs on the core and memory only results in minor performance increase, 5% and less? I looked up many reviews online and they all show the same even for the Gigabyte rtx 4090 OC thats been clocked to 3ghz core and 25.6ghz memory. Thats a 22% OC only on the memory. My strix 2080 Ti benefits a lot more from OC. I wonder if we're CPU limited with an OCed rtx 4090.

Last edited:
No one finds it weird that even big OCs on the core and memory only results in minor performance increase, 5% and less? I looked up many reviews online and they all show the same even for the Gigabyte rtx 4090 OC thats been clocked to 3ghz core and 25.6ghz memory. Thats a 22% OC only on the memory. My strix 2080 Ti benefits a lot more from OC. I wonder if we're CPU limited with an OCed rtx 4090.
The GPU core overclocks are what really matters, and if you do the math, you'll find that even though the reference 4090 Founders Edition claims a boost clock of 2520MHz, in practice it runs at around 2750MHz. Then you overclock to 2950MHz and that represents a 7% increase in clock speed. Given the memory overclocks are much higher — on the Asus card I managed 24.5Gbps vs. 21Gbps stock, so that's a 17% increase — it just means that the large L2 cache and architecture make raw memory bandwidth less of a factor. I suspect even without the memory OC, the 7% increase in GPU clocks will give you a 3-5% boost in performance, meaning the VRAM only accounts for an extra 2% or so.

Reactions: Zizo007
The 4090 is a beast, but I can't look at a 4-slot VGA and see at as anything other than bad design. Watercooled solutions are like MSI's make it more palatable, but I'm still not very happy with almost 500W of power and heat. Hoping AMD can come up with something competitive.

Reactions: martinch
Jan 21, 2024
You mention the 4 screws for securing the heatsink to the GPU needs to be installed using a torque screwdriver to avoid overtightening. Any chance you can share the torque value needed ? Thanks in advance :)

You mention the 4 screws for securing the heatsink to the GPU needs to be installed using a torque screwdriver to avoid overtightening. Any chance you can share the torque value needed ? Thanks in advance :)
I note that you're supposed to use a torque screwdriver. Honestly: I don't have one. I basically check how 'tight' a screw is before dismantling, and try to get roughly the same level of tightness. In general, just tightening until the screw 'stops' is good enough — don't overtighten or force things.

Jan 21, 2024
I note that you're supposed to use a torque screwdriver. Honestly: I don't have one. I basically check how 'tight' a screw is before dismantling, and try to get roughly the same level of tightness. In general, just tightening until the screw 'stops' is good enough — don't overtighten or force things.
Ah, okay. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Status
Not open for further replies.