[SOLVED] ASUS RTX STRIX 2080 High Temps

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
My 2080 Strix used to run really cool. At full load it would sit at 60-65 degrees. I was very impressed by these low temps because my previous GPU, an EVGA 980 Ti Classified would always shoot up to 83 degrees and then throttle down the core clock.

As of a few months ago my 2080 Strix started to reach 84 degrees and this is what it sits at load.

What could have caused this to happen? The card ran so cool for like two years and now it runs hot. Why?! I want to try to RMA it now :(

It's in a Cooler Master H500M case by the way.

Any ideas?

Solution
My 2080 Strix used to run really cool. At full load it would sit at 60-65 degrees. I was very impressed by these low temps because my previous GPU, an EVGA 980 Ti Classified would always shoot up to 83 degrees and then throttle down the core clock.

As of a few months ago my 2080 Strix started to reach 84 degrees and this is what it sits at load.

What could have caused this to happen? The card ran so cool for like two years and now it runs hot. Why?! I want to try to RMA it now :(

Any ideas?
You might want to re apply new thermal paste and thermal pad. GC Gelid Extreme is a good paste for lower price.

Any ideas?
You might want to re apply new thermal paste and thermal pad. GC Gelid Extreme is a good paste for lower price.

Solution