[SOLVED] ASUS RTX2070Super no longer provides video

Keonyn

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
So about a month ago I finally built a new PC after about 5+ years on my last build. Everything went well and I had been using it happily for about a month (literally will be a month tomorrow). That is until last night, when I rebooted the PC and upon booting the monitor just sat there saying there was no signal. The light on the side of the card still comes on and everything and the fans still do their initial spin up, but that's it. So here the troubleshooting began:

• Shut down power completely and then booted but still no video
  • Disconnected all power for a few minutes and booted but still nothing
  • Moved card to another PCIe slot but still nothing
  • Verified both power cables were connected to PSU and the card
  • Tried different PCIe power cables but still no effect
  • Put in the old card from my old PC in the same slot with the same cables and I get video on that, reconnected the 2070 and still nothing
  • Rebooted using video connected to onboard video instead and that at least gets me in, so the cord and monitor and rest of the PC are running normally
  • Verified the BIOS is set to prioritize PCIe video and even upgraded the BIOS to the latest and greatest from ASUS (motherboard is ASUS as well)
  • Upgraded Nvidia drivers in Windows to the latest and greatest (since I can't even see the BIOS and POST I doubted this would help but figured I would try)
  • Checked device manager to verify that card is still seen and it is, and the device manager claims the device is working properly
  • Accessed card with GPU Tweak and I can still access it, change its settings and spool up the fans (which respond), so the card is at least still seen and accessible by software but still no video if I try to actually connect to it
  • After the PC was off overnight I did try booting it again this morning before going to work and it did provide video ... for about 10 seconds. Then it went back to no signal.
So the only thing I can think of I haven't tried is connecting to one of the other ports on the card. I only have HDMI and the other 3 are DisplayPort's so I'll have to stop on my way home from work and pick up an adapter to give that a shot. If that doesn't work I'm simply at a loss as to what more to try other than contacting ASUS and going through what will likely be a lengthy and painful RMA process.

System Specs for reference:

Windows 10
Intel i7-9700K
16GB DDR4 3600
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H
ASUS GeForce RTX2070SOC
Cougar CMX1000 PSU

Last edited:
Solution
"Put in the old card from my old PC in the same slot with the same cables and I get video on that, reconnected the 2070 and still nothing "

To me, this is the point at which I say, "ok, RMA time for this video card." Only other option might be a power supply that didn't provide enough power, but since we don't know what power supply you have or what your "old" card is, can't say for sure.
"Put in the old card from my old PC in the same slot with the same cables and I get video on that, reconnected the 2070 and still nothing "

To me, this is the point at which I say, "ok, RMA time for this video card." Only other option might be a power supply that didn't provide enough power, but since we don't know what power supply you have or what your "old" card is, can't say for sure.

Solution

Keonyn

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014

My power supply is a Cougar CMX1000 PSU, which is a 1000W psu that shouldn't have any issues powering the card, and the old card was an AMD R9 285. I'll edit in the system specs to the original post.

I am leaning towards your assessment however. I think at this point RMA is just about the only likely course of action.

Last edited:
Well, it is a Cougar, which is a trash brand. Some people have even called it a "fire hazard" just do some googles on it. Since the Nvidia card peaks at 20-30 watts more than you old AMD card, I am actually going to change my answer a bit and say it very well could be the power supply.

What I would do: get a good brand power supply of at least 600 watts (EVGA, Corsair, etc). If it works with your 2070, you know it was the power supply. If not, you can return the power supply and RMA the video card.

Keonyn

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
Well, it is a Cougar, which is a trash brand. Some people have even called it a "fire hazard" just do some googles on it. Since the Nvidia card peaks at 20-30 watts more than you old AMD card, I am actually going to change my answer a bit and say it very well could be the power supply.

What I would do: get a good brand power supply of at least 600 watts (EVGA, Corsair, etc). If it works with your 2070, you know it was the power supply. If not, you can return the power supply and RMA the video card.
Who would you recommend? Corsair?

If they are an option and it's not their budget line (vs series) yes Corsair are good units. I have put Corsair and EVGA units in most of the builds I have done in the past 10 years and haven't had any complaints (no calls to replace). But I have an Antec running almost as long here at the house and it continues to do fine.

Keonyn

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
Yup, looks like the Best Buy on the drive home has a Corsair RM750x in stock so I'll pick that up on my way and give it a go. May just keep it even if it doesn't fix the issue since, as you said, the Cougar is not exactly a great PSU (aside from drives it's the only part I carried over from the old machine to this new one). I'll give the new PSU a go and come back with an update.

Keonyn

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014
So I stopped and picked up the new PSU and a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter so I could try connecting to one of the other three ports on the card. First thing I did was try just connecting the monitor to one of the DisplayPort connections using that adapter and sure enough it has worked since. So possibly it's just the HDMI port that ha gone bad on the card.

I'm still going to be replacing the PSU with the new Corsair one I picked up. You never know, that Cougar one could have contributed to the issue in the first place. Obviously at the time I bought it when I built my last PC nothing I had read at the time indicated it to be a junk PSU, though I did learn that later. The other question will be if it is just the HDMI port should I still consider going through an RMA since, technically, the card has still failed to some degree.

Last edited:
So I stopped and picked up the new PSU and a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter so I could try connecting to one of the other three ports on the card. First thing I did was try just connecting the monitor to one of the DisplayPort connections using that adapter and sure enough it has worked since. So possibly it's just the HDMI port that ha gone bad on the card.

I'm still going to be replacing the PSU with the new Corsair one I picked up. You never know, that Cougar one could have contributed to the issue in the first place. Obviously at the time I bought it when I built my last PC nothing I had read at the time indicated it to be a junk PSU, though I did learn that later. The other question will be if it is just the HDMI port should I still consider going through an RMA since, technically, the card has still failed to some degree.
Did you try the HDMI connection on the GPU to your monitor's HDMI connection while using the new PSU?