Asus Rumored to be Crafting Insane Dual-Hawaii Ares III Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Guys, look at my mining farm with 8x290x2!" *Turns on* *Powergrid goes down*While this might work for a tech savvy person, I don't think the average miner should get one. Average US wall socket only manages ~1800w anyway.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
"Guys, look at my mining farm with 8x290x2!" *Turns on* *Powergrid goes down*While this might work for a tech savvy person, I don't think the average miner should get one. Average US wall socket only manages ~1800w anyway.
You say that "I don't think the average miner should get one." and I would agree, as mining is the reason why AMD cards are so horribly overpriced at the moment. This card should be used for gaming, rather than having miners buy out all the cards causing prices to spike to insane levels. On a side note I am interested to see how Asus will handle the heat should they release this beast!

InvalidError

Titan

It usually takes around 18A to actually trip a 15A breaker so with 80+Gold/Platinum PSUs, it should be possible to put one of these per dedicated 15A/115V circuit without too much trouble... but someone re-wiring their home specifically for high-power mining might as well wire for 230-240V and squeeze another 1-3% efficiency out of their PSU.

InvalidError

Titan

They could have thrown a curved ball and named it Eris instead - there is plenty of chaos to go around in the GPU market with miners buying off large chunks of the supply.

You would be surprised what the "average" miner is willing to do. A friend of mine had his electrical grid upgraded along with a secondary grid added to his house so he could run the miner he has separately. Probably to get a exact power cost.

This would be something they wont go for though mainly due to how hard it would be to mount it compared to a standard 290 X2 would be.

God of War. Not that stupid. I actually like it.

Poor Pluto. He never stood a chance.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
When are they making those asics anyway? I'm getting tired of the miners driving up demand. Maybe AMD should release an SKU with nerfed FP64 :/

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
They won't call it the Ares III, a more appropriate name would be the Pluto.
Perhaps, given that they intend to put two R9 290X chips on the same card, a more appropriate name would be Hephaestus, after Greek god of fire and volcanoes (among other things).

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
They're trying to disperse 600W of heat on one card? Well, it might be expensive, but you'll never need a space heater again!

Hue hue hue

MTWSD

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
They won't call it the Ares III, a more appropriate name would be the Pluto.
Perhaps, given that they intend to put two R9 290X chips on the same card, a more appropriate name would be Hephaestus, after Greek god of fire and volcanoes (among other things).
Or perhaps Vulcan, the roman equivalent to Hephaestus.If they named this the ASUS Vulcan, how badass would than be? And it is a very easy to remember name that sticks well.Heck, why doesn't AMD name their graphics cards after roman gods? That would be an epic line of graphics card, while the CPUs could be Viking names.

InvalidError

Titan

How would nerfed FP64 help when hashing uses integer math and logic operations?

The problem with developing FPGA/ASIC miners for Scrypt mining is that Scrypt is mostly limited by RAM bandwidth and latency so Scrypt ASIC performance won't scale anywhere near as good as Bitcoin did. This could make 512bits GPUs the most cost-effective Scrypt miners for the foreseeable future. Scrypt was designed to prevent ASICs from becoming the be-all, end-all of Scrypt mining: the most powerful Scrypt ASIC will only be as powerful as the RAM attached to it and unless ASIC designers make their memory interfaces wider than 512bits or use something faster than 6Gbps GDDR5, ASICs won't perform significantly better than 512bits GPUs. Since the GPU will be waiting after the RAM most of the time, ASICs may not turn out a whole lot more power-efficient either with most active power going to the memory controller and memory chips. A large enough die to fit all those IOs and associated power/ground pins is going to cost a small fortune and the relatively low production volume means a hefty premium to recover R&D costs so Scrypt ASIC mining chips may end up significantly more expensive than a similarly performing GPU.

Basically, Scrypt ASIC miners might not be economically viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.