ASUS RX 470 - Freezing games

vaardan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi! I recently bought ASUS RX 470. At the beginning it ran quite nice and smooth, but lately I'm struggling with freezing games. Let's take Witcher III: Wild Hunt for example. It runs quite well for first 5 minutes and then game freezes for good 4-6 mins and I can't do anything about it, however I can still hear the ambient sounds of the game (e.g. wind blowing, music). When I Ctrl+Alt+Del the menu pops up when the freeze is over (~5 mins) and I can continue the game. Not only that, when I try to load up CS:GO and play deathmatch, the map starts to load however my PC just shuts down (just like I would pull off the power cord). I tried various different methods such as reinstalling display drivers, lowering power limit in WattMan and adding voltage in ASUS GPU Tweak. Also, I don't think it's temperature fault as they are sitting around 50-70°
Thanks in advance for any advice.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.80GHz
GPU: ASUS RX-470 4GB
RAM: 8GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
PSU: 550W

Some useful screenshots:
GPU
CPU
Motherboard
RAM

Solution

UnknownUser1022

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Yes the PSU could be the issue. The power output might be failing. You can go into your motherboard BIOS and it usually gives you a read out of the 12v rail. If you are more inclined you can take a multimeter and test all the rails on yourself. Just had to do this with my PC. Also make sure all of your drivers are up to date.

A failing driver can cause the game to freeze while the PC tries to correct the issue. I would update your drivers first. Then see if it still happens. If so move on and check the power output of the PSU.

vaardan

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Ok. I installed the latest drivers once again and the freezes were still present. However, after that I have also downloaded Sapphire TRIXX software. I managed to lower Power Limit by 20% and lower GPU Clock by 100Mhz (1150MHz from original 1250MHz). Also, I ramped up fan speed a bit and it didn't freeze a single time during 130min gaming session (Witcher 3). Additionally, temperatures also seemed alright as they oscillated between 45° and 65°.
For now, I'm gonna stick to that as it's currently the only solution known to me. The question is, could it really be not sufficient PSU? I haven't checked the BIOS but lowering both the core clock and power limit allowed me to get rid of those nasty freezes. If so, I was considering this PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 Fixed ATX PSU - 500 W Would it be sufficient for this build? Thanks for help!

@Update: Before, CS:GO would shutdown my PC completely when map was loaded around 1/4, now it's working just fine.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

quality matters a lot, your "550w" psu could be a chinese 300w piece of crap

no, cx are poor

you want a tier 1 or 2 power supply from this list:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Solution