Question ASUS RX570 - Need help diagnosing failure to install

Jun 18, 2019
Sorry to introduce myself by asking for help but I do really need it as I have exhausted all other avenues and now I'm desperate. I've come here many times looking for help and found it in other peoples problem threads. I bought my rig pre-built and I felt confident enough to swap out the GPU as I've done a few PSU swaps and upgrades already.
Specs
MB: ASUS M5A78L-m (I've read online this is compatible with said GPU)
CPU: AMD FX-4100
PSU: 650w (6 pin but I used an 8pin converter, more about that later)
GPU: ASUS Radeon R570 Expedition OC 4gb (There's 2 LED's, 1=white 2=red)

What I've done so far and problems I have encountered.
Uninstalled previous card
fitted new card (white LED shows)
Failed to boot (need to update MB BIOS)
Remove card, update BIOS, re-fitted card (red LED shows? Figured it meant 'working' as it had turned on)
Turned on PC, installed drivers and ran the setup from the disc it came with. installed, Launch ASUS GPU power tweak, ERROR: Load vender.dll fail. Install VGA Driver
I've gone to the official product page, downloaded drivers again, same error pops up.
turn off PC remove card, cheack all fittings, The 6pin to 8pin is super tight and hard to fit, it's very snug but I install the card again (THIS time the white LED is white, I figured I fixed something) and go through with trying to get my system to recognise the device, same errors and no luck.
Whilst the PC is on, I VERY softly pinched the wires of the 8pin converted and as I did, the LED alternated from white to red as I applied pressure.

The fans never did spin. The device was never recognised in the Control panel >Hardware > device manager.
I figure it's a PSU related problem, it's a cheap psu (I'm on very low budget, was very lucky to get this RX570 on offer) Pulse-Switching-Power-Supply-650w. OR it's the 6pin to 8pin converter. Bother the converter and the GPU are brand new today. OR it's the BIOS, somebody had a similar problem with the PC not booting after fitting a GPU but I've already updated my BIOS through ASUS.
I have to be 100% certain if I need to buy another PSU, as I said, money is a luxury and I've already invested a few weeks income.

Thanks for putting in the effort of reading that :)
I'm super grateful for all the help this forum has provided to me over the years, this forum pops up 1st in 90% of my tech queries. This forum and the people providing help and support are an essential addition to internet. Super grateful

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
The 6pin/8pin adaptor was too big, the pin casing wouldn't allow the pins to connect, which is what caused the white/red LED flicker. I cut back the plastic with pliers and filed down the rest, it's now a perfect fit and the LED is a steady white regardless of it being 'wiggled'.

The PC still won't turn on, it only turned on before with a red light which I'll disregard (red=poor power I imagine). I even tried setting the the PCI to load 1st before the onboard MB graphics and turned on plug'n'play but the PC won't turn on still. With any PC problem, if it does nothing when you turn it on, it's the PSU

I have summarized that the adaptor does not do what I thought it would do so I'm going to double down on a new 8pin PSU. Overall, my dissapointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Jun 18, 2019
Yea an el-cheapo power supply is not recommended for a 570. Look for something that has the connectors you need and good quality with at least 450w.
6 pin to 8 pin adapters are generally not recommended.

What is your budget for a new PSU?

Edit: Is your monitor plugged into your GPU?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-evga
Would this be a safe bet? Also, I'm willing to go as high as £40 and if I must>£50, I'm willing to make sacrifices to keep my system safe. I'm not familiar with PSU brands so buying a cheap PSU is a shot in the dark for me.

I typically plug my LG 32" SmartTV into my GPU, but I cannot recall what I plugged it into this morning. Does it make a difference when installing a new GPU? It never booted up to begin with so...

Jun 18, 2019
The most frustrating thing is, the retailer didn't mention it was 8pin, most places where this GPU is broadly mentioned, they make no effort to say, "8pin". It was only by chance, whilst watching an unboxing video that I luckily caught at a glimpse of the PSU input and that's why I tried the 6pin/8pin adaptor as a quick fix. There are times where I am burning down the walls around me in rage just becuase vital information is left to the consumer to discover within multiple vast webs of information, within a tree that is already decades old. Drivers, BIOS updates, which versions of BIOS for each MB, Power requirments, Amps/Volts/Watts and pins and if you miss a single file or hit 1 piece of mis-information... poof, damaged hardware, wasted money or wasted time.

I might only see it this way becuase I'm still learning but I can already see there's a lot that should be done by most retailers and manufacturers to make things easier for everybody. When I opened my GPU box, the instructions were essentially how to plug it in.... nothing more. Nothing about the power requirements, volts/amps/watts, software/hardware compatabilty etc etc.

Jun 18, 2019
Well If you buy a good PSU to begin with, you really dont have to worry about simple things like this.

That's a good piece of advice. NEVER, EVER, EVER, cheap out on PSU.
Well, I bought this (6pin) PSU for £30 but if I bought this (6pin+2) PSU for £25(+£5 delivery) then maybe I'd be happily gaming right now. Could I power my (8pin) GPU with the 6pin+2 PSU and simply ignore the +2 connecter without worry? Whilst my current gpu needs only 6 pins.... Cheaping out seems inconsequential to me. The 2 PSU's that I lost were damaged due to flux power supply from my house power supply, I got a surge protector and things have been gravy ever since.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
Just to let you know it worked. It's a crazy feeling, I used to run TotalWar:Warhammer2 on lowest setting with 15FPS and today It auto configured and set everything to ULTRA with 50FPS.... I feel like a peasant wearing a tuxedo lol Not sure if I can get used to this.... Thanks a lot

Reactions: NightHawkRMX