Question Asus Ryujin II 360 pump randomly failed?

Aug 29, 2022
Hey everyone, lurked the site for awhile but first time posting due to this newly arisen issue I'm having.

Recently built a new pc last weekend. Got it all put together and worked through a couple minor kinks in the beginning but for the last week it's been running and performing no problem. Been gaming on it everyday for the past few days, no temp issues, no nothing.

Go to turn it on tonight and all the fans are screaming, posts no problem and the screen on my AIO is showing CPU temp of 88°C. Restart the computer and go into the BIOS and see that the pump speed is "N/A" with the occasional 30rpm blip. I'd had an issue like this in the beginning but it was due to the fact that I didn't have my radiator fans 4pin PWM plugged into the CPU_Fan header on the MOBO.

I turned everything off, double and triple checked all the connections but nothing I did or found would get the pump to kick on. I'm at the point where I don't know if the pump died on me or what.

Only other thought was maybe a MOBO issue? After a few on/offs to check function I'd got to my home screen where everything seemed laggy and all of the sudden all RGB's connected to the MOBO turned off, then monitors flickered, then a pop up about no gpu detected or something like that. Wasn't sure if that was just caused by the numerous power cycles to check if the pump was working or not.

No Q codes that indicated any issue however toward the end the red CPU led started staying on, again not sure if that was caused by numerous power cycles or the cpu getting too warm.

Any help or insight would be appreciated, not sure if I need to RMA the cooler or the MOBO or what.

Hardware:

Asus ROG Strix Z690-E

Intel i7 12700k

G.Skill DDR5 Ram

Asus ROG Ryujin II 360

Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090

Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo

EVGA G6 1000W supply

Did you update the BIOS between when it was working properly and when it wasn't?

Are you on the most recent stable BIOS release?

I wouldn't panic, yet. A lot of times, on most boards, unless you have it set to ignore, if the board doesn't see an RPM signal from the CPU_FAN header, it will shut everything else back down. What I'd try first is connecting a four pin PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header to determine for certain whether the problem is coming from the header side of the equation or the cooler/fan side. All other avenues of troubleshooting branch off from there.

Aug 29, 2022
Did you update the BIOS between when it was working properly and when it wasn't?

Are you on the most recent stable BIOS release?

I wouldn't panic, yet. A lot of times, on most boards, unless you have it set to ignore, if the board doesn't see an RPM signal from the CPU_FAN header, it will shut everything else back down. What I'd try first is connecting a four pin PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header to determine for certain whether the problem is coming from the header side of the equation or the cooler/fan side. All other avenues of troubleshooting branch off from there.

Did update BIOS after getting everything else installed, can't recall version off the top of my head.

Originally when I built the pc the radiator fans were not connected to the CPU_Fan header but I plugged them in there after the initial pump not working issues last week. Radiator fans have been plugged into CPU_Fan header since then all while computer was functioning without issue and no temp spikes out of the ordinary.

Aug 29, 2022
Where is pump connected? Assuming, and I didn't look yet, that this cooler requires the pump be connected to a fan header rather than just a SATA power source.

One cable goes to USB 2.0 and other is USB-c goes to controller.

This wouldn't be so strange had it not been working without issue for the past week or so and then I go to turn on the pc and bam, no pump spinning.

Aug 29, 2022
Ok. It's because this cooler has an independent fan controller unit.

So, you have multiple internal USB 2.0 headers on that board. Did you try the other header? Did you try a different SATA power cable/connector?

If the cooler connects only via USB and SATA, I'm not sure how you'd be able to monitor it in the BIOS since that would be monitoring the various fan headers, CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, AIO_PUMP, etc. and since your cooler doesn't connect to any of those headers I'm not sure how you could see anything related to the pump in the BIOS. Without anything connected to the AIO_PUMP header it would logically show as N/A.

What does the ASUS monitoring software on the desktop say, assuming that you have it installed?

Aug 29, 2022
Tried both USB 2.0 headers with no change, tried different SATA connector (3 connectors per cable) with no change however controller seems to be powering all fans/rgbs without issue. There is a 2.5" drive also connected to same SATA cable (have tried w/ and w/o HDD connected w/o change).

I just figured the pump data and screen info were being communicated via the USB 2.0 header, USB-C is only for power I'm presuming and those are the only connectors coming directly off of the pump itself. Went ahead and ordered a new AIO from Newegg (only place that had them "in stock") but that's backordered until Thursday 9/1, current AIO is still within return period from Amazon until next Saturday (only ordered through them because they had them in stock a few weeks ago). At least I'll have a backup to swap to if I do come to the conclusion that this one is dead.

Spoke to Asus online chat earlier for kicks and giggles and was told to try disconnecting and reconnecting the ARGB cable from the controller, told them I double and triple checked every connection associated with the AIO and then they just told me to RMA it. Buying a new one from Newegg (for $40 less than the one I bought from amazon no less) and returning the current one to Amazon seemed quicker than dealing with Asus.

If you're talking about the area around the little gold circle and square, then unless other boards are suffering the exact same problem (Which I've not heard about any major issues on ASUS Z690 boards other than the reversed capacitor issue on the Z690 Hero) then this completely different board I found a close up image of has the same problem as you since it looks the same. Is that what you were referring to? Yes, looks weird by pics but IDK, maybe looks different in person? Or not what you were referring to?

You can click the image below to expand it.

6-U-KRYbadym-Q74_P54RZBdRutabY_zyIgeAa74kco.jpg

Aug 29, 2022
If you're talking about the area around the little gold circle and square, then unless other boards are suffering the exact same problem (Which I've not heard about any major issues on ASUS Z690 boards other than the reversed capacitor issue on the Z690 Hero) then this completely different board I found a close up image of has the same problem as you since it looks the same. Is that what you were referring to? Yes, looks weird by pics but IDK, maybe looks different in person? Or not what you were referring to?

Definitely what I was referring to but maybe just looked off or different because the discoloration around it compared to the rest of the finish of the board. Probably something that was there before that I didn't notice but threw a flag in my mind now with everything else going on. Glad to know that shouldn't be an issue or related to an issue. As for now I guess I'll keep on my path of replacing the cooler as soon as the new one shows up.

Much better picture, and honestly, I don't see anything there that really concerns me. Traces look intact. It does not look like a result of heat or thermal damage. While anything, always, is possible, I don't THINK it's related to the problem. It could even be something as innocuous as a bit of sweat that fell from your forehead while assembling the system, or the tiniest bit some other source. Very hard to say but it definitely isn't something that I'd look at and instantly say "AH HAAAA, gotcha". Especially when pic from same model board, but different specific board, looks exactly the same in that area. Might even just be as you say, a result of the assembly process for the components you see in that specific spot.

Reactions: Maverick30
Aug 29, 2022
That makes sense and I appreciate your feedback. Hopefully the new cooler will be shipping out today and can get that swapped in soon. Will keep you updated on what happens then. Thanks for your time!

Apr 28, 2023
Hey guys
Running into the EXACT same problem that @Maverick30 was running into. Double checked all the connections and everything looks good. Been working fine for almost a week and today I got home to the CPU temp spiked to 88 degrees. The LED screen works, the fans work, I just dont think the pump is.

Was there a resolution to this one? Did the new pump fixed the issues?