Asus sabertooth 990fx (first model not r2 or r3)

kiva

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
So I recently transferred my pc from one case to another and now I get no boot. I have checked the connections several times pulled all parts and still nothing. Last year I have had a "fluke" where my system did that for a week but it seemed to be fixed when I pulled the cpu and put it back in. Now can I say the mobo is dying or is it just a thing that happens at times.

Current system specs.
Asus sabertooth 990fx (first series)
Amd fx6300
Asus r9 270x
Evga 1000w gold
Crucial ballistix 16000
Thermaltake core p5

Solution

At this point, I'd recommend the following (don't hate me):
1) Take it apart and put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface (the box makes for a good little test bench)
2) Only connect the keyboard to the motherboard. No boot devices, no extra USB devices. Since you don't have onboard video, try a few graphics cards in different slots. Try to use the simplest card you have, even if it's an 8800GS.
3) Install only one stick of RAM at a time
4) Try multiple CPUs if you have them, even old AM3 CPUs should work in that board.
5) Try multiple...
Just a thing that happens at times? If your system won't start, something isn't right... That's about it. Computers are machines of logic. If assembly makes sense to them, they work. If not, they don't. They're not like humans that can suddenly decide to be lazy and not do our work (and probably get fired). Does getting thrown away (hopefully recycled) count as being fired? xD

Back to topic at hand.

There is a checklist for No POST and No Boot situations. Please go through this before just assuming there are problems with your components. Please respond with any change in system behavior.

kiva

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Well considering all I did was take the mobo with cpu and ram still installed from 1 case to the next and nothing with a no boot at one point last year. I will be pulling the cpu and resetting it into place to see if that works. But the initial question was if the mobo is dying since a no boot did happen last year and now again.

My brother has a Phenom II system that did something like this before. His system would randomly tell him it found a different CPU or randomly disable OC settings within BIOS. Other times, it would refuse to POST. It turned out that the mobo was just being dumb (I can't believe I'm actually saying that) and I never figured out what was really wrong. I reseated the CPU and the problems went away.

kiva

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
weberdarren97 I just went and reseated the cpu and I still got a no boot with cpu led on. I did that last time and it worked which is why I used the term "fluke". For your second part I always forget where I pulled them from so I refer to the manual. This is why I think it's a goner, can't figure it out myself.

Ezskills sorry but that's not even a logical question since anyone who does builds knows not to skip them.

I've tried to install an ATX mobo in a case with the standoffs in mATX placement once. No shorts or anything, the bottom was just a little flimsy. I wonder why...

Anyways, we all do it at some point in our career. We just get to building and forget to cover our bases along the way. Unless of course you're the perfect thinker and don't forget anything in any machine you build in your entire life (not building any doesn't count).

kiva

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
weberdarren97 no I do take my grand ol time though. 3 days for the rebuild 2 for hard tubing. I did forget things along the way which is why I do take my time as well as wire management.

At this point, I'd recommend the following (don't hate me):
1) Take it apart and put the motherboard on a non-conductive surface (the box makes for a good little test bench)
2) Only connect the keyboard to the motherboard. No boot devices, no extra USB devices. Since you don't have onboard video, try a few graphics cards in different slots. Try to use the simplest card you have, even if it's an 8800GS.
3) Install only one stick of RAM at a time
4) Try multiple CPUs if you have them, even old AM3 CPUs should work in that board.
5) Try multiple power supplies if you have them

Solution

TRENDING THREADS