Question Asus Sabertooth 990fx r3.0 Memory Problem

Aug 17, 2019
Quick setup history....

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r3.0 TUF Edition

AMD FX-8350 OC'd @ 4.8 (water cooled)

1x8GB PNY RAM @ 1600

XFX AMD RX480 8gb

Well, long story short... I was away for about 2 months... I come home and my SSD's were stolen.. No biggie! I still have 5 other hard drives. Well, upon firing up my computer after a long 2 months of being completely shut off... I'm getting error beeps off the MB speaker (1 long, 2 short) meaning a problem in the memory. So, I tried switching the stick of ram to all the other slots, and kept getting the same error beeps. So, then I switched out my motherboard with an old one I had, and got error beeps on there stating a memory problem... So I switched everything back to the Sabertooth MB amd bought a new stick of RAM, installed it, and I'm still getting the same error beeps now (1 long 2 short). Ive hit the MemOK! button and still same thing...

Nothing comes up on screen and I cant even get to the BIOS screen. Just plain black with with the error beeps from the MB speaker. What else could it be?! The error codes for my MB say its a memory problem, but its now a brand new stick of RAM and still nothing...

Please help!

Aug 17, 2019
First of all, I wanted to say THANK YOU MUCH Alexoiu for your help!

It seems we're getting somewhere now! I removed the battery, then went outside for a smoke... Came back in and put it back in... Now I'm still getting a black screen and no BIOS or anything... BUT! No more error beeps! So I think we're getting somewhere!

The CPU light and Power light are the only 2 lights on. When I hit the MemOK! button, when it turns back on, then DRAM light flashes, but nothing happens and it just keeps on flashing til I shut it down again.

Any ideas where to turn now?

Now keep in mind, (and I don't think this matters much) but it doesnt have a bootable hard drive with an OS in it right now, because the SSDs I had my OS's on were stolen.. So I have been putting in a working linux USB drive to try and get it to boot off that. I dont think this matters, but I just wanted to throw it out there just to get all info out.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2019
Ok..now, after a few times of trying it.. I let it sit for a few... Then went to try it again... And the beeping has returned. When I hit the MemOK! button, then the CPU light and DRAM both flash, then the CPU light goes out, DRAM light stays solid, and beeping continues... After about a minute of beeping, the CPU and DRAM lights flash back and forth for a few seconds, then its the same as before with DRAM on solid, CPU light off, and beeping...

Could it possibly be my processor...?

But I will try pulling out the RAM and see what happens.

Aug 17, 2019
When I take the ram out, it does not beep. The DRAM light on the MB just keeps flashing.

I'm f**kin stumped! But I appreciate your assistance in helping me A LOT! Its killing me not being able to get my pc running, and not having a clue why...

Aug 17, 2019
Ok. I will definitely try that here in just a few minutes and report back.

One bad thing about trying that now... I'm out of thermal paste. Will I be ok to just reuse whats on there? Or should I just wait until I can get to best buy later to get some before i reseat it? Ive always been OCD about changing the thermal paste any time I touch the cpu.. But is that all THAT necessary if there's still a good bit of paste on it?

Aug 17, 2019
Ok... So I finally got time to reseat the CPU... And still getting the same result with the solid DRAM led and the beeping.

I straightened out all the pins and cleaned everything up on the CPU to make sure that everything was good on that... But no luck.

Ive cleared the CMOS, tried the MemOK button, replaced the RAM, reseated the CPU, all with no success. I cant even make it to the BIOS!

What else can I try? I don't know what else to do! Could the CPU be bad? Well, if it was the cpu, why would it be giving me memory error beeps?!

Ugh!

Aug 17, 2019
Yeah... CPU is what I'm starting to think. Its all that's left. And plus, I've worked it hard for a long time and am a bit surprised its made it this long lol. My power supply is real new, so I can't see that being the problem.

But thank you much for your assistance! I appreciate it greatly!