Asus sabertooth z77

HardwareTwitch

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
hi guys,

well i'm planning to get a new mobo..in my option i have asus sabertooth z77
solely because of its thermal armour,thermal radar and dust defender.

so my question is that for feature like this which i am interested i.e. thermal armour,thermal radar and dust defender is worthwhile to buy?

also if not other options i have is maximus v gene, asus v pro,etc...all i 'm looking is mid range high end and mainly manufactured by asus.

so any replies are wecomed n wud be very helpful in orde foe me r to decide that what to buy.

thanks.

Don't bother with the Sabertooth it's a total gimick and some nice features are not there because of the thermal armor and dust defender and radar, total gimick.
Definetly look into those other two boards you mentioned.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853

If you were willing to spend $239.99 on the Sabertooth then you can spend $20 less and get this board , which has a lot of nice features and once Thunderbolt catches on you'll have a MB that will accept it and it already has a port for it.
Just Google Thunderbolt and read up on it and you'll see what I'm alking about.
The board also has builtin Wi-fi , fan-expert and smart didi power , just to name a few of the features.

HardwareTwitch

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

sabertooth z77 --->total gimick, for sure?

hmm ok if z77 sabertooth is gimick , so i am left with p8z77 v pro and maximus v gene, guide me out ...totally confused..

also m looking mobo mainly for gaming n that can sustain oc'ing to good extent n better heat dissipation.
so
p8z77 v pro or maximus v gene?

guide me

thanks

G

The Sabertooth Z77 is the BEST board I have ever had the privilege of owning!

inzone ... do you own one?

The Thermal Armour feature works, Period! I have tested this, by running at load with it on, and after removal, it simply works, with the supplied 40mm fans set up correctly using the thermal radar software (which is the best fan control software I have ever used and has worked flawlessly controlling 9 fans across the case including the 2 40mm fans)

You cannot hear the 40mm fans at med load, only slightly at full load and that is only if the other system fans are running low or off.

The Board looks amazing, simply nothing out there that looks as good, i have a windowed Scout case and looks are important to me!

Overclocking it, I have had 5.4Ghz from my 3570k, only managed 5.0Ghz on the p8z77 which I sold on!

It has a 5 year warranty. yes 5 year, it is TUFF... Enough said.

The armour also helps prevent damage to the Mobo Components from accidents such as a slip with a screwdriver, and it keeps it dust free for far longer.

From someone who had the Pro board, moving to the Sabertooth was the best decision I have made!

Total bull on the overcklock to 5.4ghz , you would have to use liquid nitrogen to get anything past 5ghz. A post like the one you just did takes away any credibility for anything that you can say.
Dust guard ??? should there be any dust inside the case?? If you have the proper dust screens there should be no dust inside and the little bit that gets through you certianly don't need an armor shell to keep it out.
I've heard complaints about the Armor shell trapping heat and the fans not working and then they are ecssevily loud.
When you put the board inside a case and you have the heat sink and video card and ram and cables , what do you actually see of the board or for that matter any board.
Anytime your working o or near the motherboard you know to be careful and you don't need Armor to protect the whole motherboard. Asus is charging a premium for this stuff and making the board cost more and some features are missing because of that.
No I don't own an Asus Sabertooth , I own an Asus Rampage IV Extreme so I'm not against owning an Asus motherboard , it's just why pay for a gimick.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131853

This is what I would get.

I think that they just dropped the price , last week it was more than the Sabertooth so I think it's temporary and next week you'll see it back up there so grabbing it now would be a great deal. I've seen Newegg do this many times since I tend to follow a lot of parts , they drop the price then they raise it.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
The Sabertooth is a hate it or love it board it just depends on what you want. I'll chime in since this isn't the first thread I've seen with very biased input specially against the Sabertooth with no experience with the actual product and base there opinion on stuff people have "heard".

Firstly both the 40mm fans I can't hear at all again mileage my vary but even when I set Fan Overtime so the fans still work when the computer is shut off removing heat from the motherboard I can't hear them at all for the 3 minutes they run while I'm laying in bed in a quiet room. The Armor covering as far as repelling dust I don't know how well that's going to work because there are two fans drawing air into the covering so dust is going to find its way there eventually. As far as cooling I do believe that the covering has it's benefits instead of just having air move across the MB to cool it you have air that is channeled where it needs to go and by personal experience I have not experienced any overheating of any sort under idle or load mind you this is with a GPU with a non reference cooler that doesn't expel hot air out the back too.

Again depending on what you read different people have different opinions about it. Here's one example from HARD OCP that did a review about it two separate guys commented about it as a conclusion on what they thought about it. There's are a handfull of tech sites that reviewed it and have pros and cons.
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/04/20/asus_sabertooth_z77_lga_1155_motherboard_review/7

Also instead of pushing a technology such as Thunderbolt which in my opinion is very expensive at the moment, does the OP even need it at all ? Does he need Wi-Fi go ? First we need to see what the OP would use then give our input on what would be best for him and let him decide. Again as I stated before on another thread based on what I needed the warranty for me over the Thunderbolt/Wifi go/few more misc items was a winner that two extra years of piece of mind if something were to call it quits.

TRENDING THREADS