Asus Sabertooth z97 M2: Won't Post with RAM in B Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

WahooCrazy

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Hello all,

I received my new motherboard and CPU in the mail yesterday and assembled my computer. However, I am having trouble getting the RAM to work correctly. The manual says to but RAM in slots DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2. However, when I do that the computer won't post. It will just cycle on and off. If I remove the RAM from B2 it will post and go to bios. I have also tried having one in the B slot alone. Same problem. I tried placing both in A1 and A2. It successfully went to BIOS. So both sticks work.

Here's the strange (at least I think so) part. I went to the bios (with one stick in) and then disabled B1 and B2, saved and exited. Then I inserted the second stick into B2. It went to the bios and the bios recognized both sticks. However, because I disabled the B slots only 8192 was usable. So the board recognized a stick in the B slot, but it won't boot if the slot is enabled.

Both sticks of RAM are the same (they came in a kit), and I didn't have any issues with my old motherboard (posted below). I have done some looking on Google and I have tried to loosen my cooler and try again, but that did not work.

So I have a few questions. Is it ok to have the RAM in A1 and A2? I would rather not do this because it just avoids the problem. Is the board defective and should I return it? Or is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you to whomever helps me out.

Here are my specs: (Also posted are the specs before the upgrade)
CPU: Intel i7-4790K @4.0Ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i with 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 (HX318C10FBK2/16)
PSU: Corsair CX750
Video Card: MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G
Blu-Ray Player: LG WH14NS40 (Not Connected)
SSD: Kingston Hyper X 240GB (Not Connected)
HDD: 2x WD Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm (Not Connected)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Case Fans: Cooler Master Megaflow 200 (Intake); Noctua NF-A14 (Intake); Noctua NF-S12A (Outtake)
External Peripherals: Logitech G27 Wheel; Microsoft Xbox One Controller; Microsoft Xbox 360; Wireless Controller; Logitech K270 & M185

All I have plugged in right now is the keyboard and mouse.

Old Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.72Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Everything else including the RAM was the same.

Thanks again to whomever can help me out.
-Wahoo Crazy

Solution
Try clearing CMOS. Is the RAM set to XMP in BIOS? Also try to set to 1600MHz to see if that resolves problems.

If you use A1 and A2, you'll be in single channel operation and using two memory controller resources... no good. If above doesn't work, send board back.
In my opinion, the board should be replaced with one that works in two-channel mode. If the replacement has the same problem you can look at the memory, but it sounds like the problem is in the board. However, what if the problem is in the manual? Try it again with the memory in A1 and B1. Run a tool like CPU-Z and see if the memory is working in dual-channel mode and if the timings are good. Or ask the maker's tech support why the manual suggests populating A2 and B2 before A1 and B1. Seems odd to me.

WahooCrazy

Reputable
May 2, 2015

Wyoming,
I just tried A1 and B1, and it wouldn't post. It just started power cycling again. When you say "the board should be replaced with one that works in two-channel mode." Do you mean a different motherboard model? Or just a new board because this one seems to be defective? I tried with two other sticks of memory (Kingston Fury 4x2 8GB) and it had the same problem, so I firmly believe that it is the board. If you do mean a different model motherboard, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Wahoo Crazy

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Try clearing CMOS. Is the RAM set to XMP in BIOS? Also try to set to 1600MHz to see if that resolves problems.

If you use A1 and A2, you'll be in single channel operation and using two memory controller resources... no good. If above doesn't work, send board back.

Solution

WahooCrazy

Reputable
May 2, 2015

George,

I cleared CMOS and put both sticks in A1 and B1. When I started the computer it sat with a blank screen and nothing else. The DRAM light was on though. I ran the MemOK and it went through the tests, but still would just sit there with a blank screen and no bios.

I took one of the sticks out and went to the BIOS. XMP is disabled and there is no option to enable. (There is a drop down menu but there is no "Enable" option. I set the frequency to 1600MHz and put the second stick back in. (They were in A1 and B1) . I tried to turn the computer back on and it is just cycling again. I believe I have a defective board.

Going back to what Wyoming said, is there another board that supports two channel mode that I should look into, or should I just get a replacement for this board.

Thanks,
Wahoo Crazy

EDIT: I ordered a replacement from Amazon and am taking this one to UPS to be shipped back.
Thank you to everyone who helped.
Wahoo Crazy

darkhaven_majia

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
Got the same problem with asus z97 pro gamer: if i have either A1 or B1 slot populated, it does not boot. I actually tried two PSUs, one will keep recycling. while another one did not power on at all. Sending it back to amazon but this is rather annoying since the board itself is already an replacement!

darkhaven_majia

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

Thanks. That's good to know. However, I tested that with 2 cpu so the chance of missed pin contact is low in this case. Eventually a replacement board fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.