Asus Shows Massive LGA 3647 Dominus Extreme Motherboard

I wonder if they will actually sale one of those mother boards? I mean the Xeon W-3175X will cost around 8K. I really don't see these selling at all. You are spending that much you are building a server and if you don't want to spend that much you just pick up a Threadripper for similar performance.

There has been no confirmation from retail channels on the price yet nor from Intel on the MSRP. The closest we have is this:

https://www.kikatek.com/Product/1100513-BX80673W3175X-INTEL-SERVER-CPU-XEON-W3175X-310GHZ-SKTFCLGA2018P-385MB-CACHE

That translates to $5000 +/- USD but is not official.

That said, the market this is targeting might not even compete with TR. This is a actual server class Xeon after all and not just a HEDT CPU.

I agree that the market this is focused on is more server class which is what made me ask will Asus actualy sale any of these motherboards as they are obviously not targeted at the server market.

A few I am sure. People will buy it for a single CPU server for a small business or the like. A shop I worked at we built our own from desktop class parts. Not the best but since we didn't need an insane server it was vastly cheaper.

This setup would probably go for benchmarks wars. I can already picture Derbauer and Kingpin working with LN2 pots on these when they are available. Especially Derbauer, Asus sponsoring him for overclocking records and all...

Also, which company designed that custom waterblock for the vrm? That looks sick! Wish they would make one for the Meg X399 creation board. 2 loops, 1 for the vrm and 1 for the cpu, lol! Sad that the ROG matrix 2080ti in there doesn't have water cooling ports like the ROG poseidon does :(

Any idea which case is that? Looks like a cross between coolermaster design language and the lian li pc v3000...

Wouldn't people in that use case just buy a cheaper single CPU from either Intel or AMD? This CPU will most definitely be more expensive than the non-overclockable 28 core Intel chip that its based on and definitely more expensive than many of the Epyc chips, so why not just buy those instead?

First, this chip is overclockable. They were showing it off. It iwll take a lot of cooling but it is.

Second why would a person buy a $140K Audi or Mercedes when a $30K Ford/Chevy etc do the same thing for way less? Because there are people who have nothing but money to throw around and just buy whatever.

However there is one caveat. While AMD does have more cores Intel does, for the time being, have better IPC and higher clocks per core. In the server space Intel still does well against AMD even with less cores.

Then there are the hard core fanboys who will buy just one brand no matter what.

Just pointing out that even in that scenario, there will be people that buy cheaper Intel and AMD server chips instead of the 28-core monster. Especially in the server market, where even less people would care about the overclockability of this system and care more about maintenance costs and power consumption. Of course there will always be people that push the envelope like the buyers of this motherboard and chip, but there won't be many.