ASUS Sibertooth FX990 V2.0

Mar 10, 2018
Hi All,
I bought some components from a private ebay seller back in 2016, 2 weeks after my daughter was involved in an accident and life has been a tad busy...bla bla bla.
Everything I bought was seen working and came in original boxes,
list of items:
ASUS SIBERTOOTH FX990 MOTHERBOARD VERSION 2.0
CORSAIR GS600 POWER SUPPLY UNIT
RADION BLACK EDITION R7850
2X 8GB DDR3 1600 MEMORY MODULES
AMD FX9590 PROCESSOR AND COOLING FAN (from a different seller)
ZALMAN CASE.

I finally managed to get everything together, the hard drive I'm using is a WD SATA 1TB.

Plugged everything in and the system fires up but then shuts down a few seconds later, I removed the board and placed it on the table over a book, reseated CPU, tested with different memory but still the same. all read lights on the board lightup in turn and then switch off.

I connected the HD and I can see memory/cpu check but once it gets to hit F1 to continue it switches off, I reset the CMOS with no change, disconnecting the 8-Pin CPU connector from the motherboard keeps it fired up but with no display, if I press the memory test button it checks everything the red lights come on and go out and then it switches off.

upon power up, I noticed the fans come on high but seconds later slow down as does the CPU cooler fan causing the heat shield to warn up a bit....is this normal?

Tried speaking to ASUS but they want me to go to the original supplier but I don't know who that was, besides ASUS are useless and don't want to help.

I am not sure which component might be causing this issue as I don't want to have to buy item unnecessarily, I have a disabled daughter at home and funds are a tad short.

I would really appreciate a little direction on this, reading through other posts it seems to point to the ASUS board, I have also tested without the graphics card/keyboard/HD same issue.

Solution
AMD FX9590 requires a minimum BIOS version of 1708 or higher. This CPU also requires a liquid All-in-One CPU cooler (240/280mm) and fan directed on surrounding electronics around the CPU..

I suggest you get a CPU that operates with the original BIOS version to update the BIOS.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz Dual-Core (HDZ550WFK2DGI) Processor
Trending Price on eBay is
$12.00 Used
AMD FX9590 requires a minimum BIOS version of 1708 or higher. This CPU also requires a liquid All-in-One CPU cooler (240/280mm) and fan directed on surrounding electronics around the CPU..

I suggest you get a CPU that operates with the original BIOS version to update the BIOS.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz Dual-Core (HDZ550WFK2DGI) Processor
Trending Price on eBay is
$12.00 Used

Solution
Mar 10, 2018
Many thanks for that very usefull info bud, are you suggesting that upgrading the BIOS would infact allow me to use the processor that I have.
I will get a superior cooling fsn for it tho