monkeyman96

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hello,
My bios takes too long to load about 30 seconds it just takes ages to show the ASUS logo and whatever else it pops up lingers about 10 seconds goes black and comes back about 15 seconds later pops back quickly then starts loading windows... it's just taking too long for me, my friends have boot times to desktop at 10 seconds. I have a M5A97 Pro Motherboard. In msconfig just only startup item is my anti virus so has nothing to do with windows just a slow post. Would having 8Gb of RAM help?

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
No, I don't think RAM is your problem. First, You need to check the boot order in BIOS. Depending on how many drives you have connected, make sure you have your optical drive listed first, then your OS drive second.

If that doesn't help, check your SATA connections on your motherboard. Try switching the connector to another port. If you check your mobo manual, you'll notice that each port is numbered. If your optical drive is in slot 1, I would recommend trying slot 2 or slot 3 for your boot drive. If those don't work, just try different ports. I was having the same problem and switching the ports worked.

Lastly, using an SSD as your boot drive will speed up your boot times.

monkeyman96

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Ah cool thanks I will give it a go very sorry for the long time to reply :S tbh i did randomly put it in any slot so it could be down to that I dont know how that would change much but i'd be glad to give it a go later on.

monkeyman96

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
CPU: fx 4100
RAM: 4gb from a friend haven't got the slightest clue what make probably budget
GPU: nvidia getx 460
PSU: random one friend gave me... 450w
HDD: seagate 2tb
Motherboard: asus m5a97 pro
OS type + version windows 7 ultimate

You have 2 basic problems.
1. Your HDD is too large. 2TB drive is incredibly SLOW.
Install the OS ONLY on a small fast drive. Set this drive to boot FIRST.
Install your personal files on the large drive only.
DO NOT put your personal files on the small OS drive. The small drive will be for your OS and programs ONLY.
The large drive will be for your music, documents, videos, pictures, etc...ONLY.

The other problem? You have an Asus motherboard.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances, load "free" software into your computer.
DO NOT load ANY software that claims it will "speed up" your computer. Its a SCAM.
"free" software WILL NOT fix your computer. DO NOT be fooled. It is completely unnecessary.

IF you follow my advice, the entire boot will take 30 seconds or less.

This advice is irresponsible and foolish.
You missed the REAL problem entirely.
There is NO free software that fixes your computer, it's a SCAM
ANY "free" program that claims it will: "clean, sweep, fix, speed up" your computer IS a SCAM!

DO NOT under ANY circumstances, load "free" software into your computer.
DO NOT load ANY software that claims it will "speed up" your computer. Its a SCAM.
"free" software WILL NOT fix your computer. DO NOT be fooled. It is completely unnecessary.

The purpose of "free" software is to plant spyware in your computer. Believe it.