ASUS Striker Extreme BIOS update screwup

Scart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Got back home from work yesterday and jumped onto the PC ready for some BF2142. But before I started it up I go through my normal routine of checking all the forums and tech sites. One of which is the ASUS driver download site for the Stiker.

I click on latest drivers and low and behold there's a brand new BIOS (version 901) that I hadn't noticed the last time I was there. Released 14/02/07 AND it wasn't a BETA version of the BIOS, I stay far away from those BETA versions.

I promtly download said BIOS in the hope that they have fixed some of my OC-ing problems I've had and allow me to hit some higher clocks.

As I was about to haul out the old floppy drive I remembered that I had installed ASUS-Update ( the BIOS update proggy u can use in Windows to update your BIOS )

"w00tl3s!!" I said. This will be easy……… Now, if someone had pointed out that I'm using Vista and that using an update program in Vista, an OS system not even a month old which might not be such a good idea, I probably would have rethunk that course of action.

Started the program, selected update from file, selected Next, selected Flash. It did everything it was supposed to do. It erased fine, it flashed fine and it verified without any errors. Basically nothing I could see went wrong. After it finished Vista asked me if I wanted to restart the PC. I clicked yes and waited for the system to reboot……… nothing. The screen stays blank. I leave it for a couple of minutes thinking it might need a while. Still nothing. I pushed the reset button (yeah probably not such a good idea). The PC starts up I hear a click, everything goes off and then on really quickly. This repeats itself over and over and over again.

The PC doesn't POST at all.

The way I see it I'm gonna have to take it back to my supplier so that they can send it to ASUS here in South Africa.

But I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions.

PS: Oh and Hi, it's my first post here. :)

PPS: PC Specs:

ASUS Striker Extreme
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (was running at stock at the time of the incident)
4x 512MB Kingston Hyper X
XFX 8800GTX
AOpen 700Watt PSU
2x Seagate 80Gig HDDs running in RAID0

halcyon

Splendid
I don't know why that happened to you, as I did the same exact thing in Vista Enterprise and the bios update worked as prescribed. I'm not sure, but I thought there was a utility of the resource CD that came with the Striker that could pull some kind of rescue-me bios off the CD in this kind of situation. ?? That seems far fetched for seemingly clear reasons, but I thought I read that somewhere. Take another look at the manual.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There is higher chance of things going wrong when you flash your bios with Asus Update. Thats why its better to flash your bios in dos (its safer). (read your manual to find out how to do this).

Reset your cmos. Read your manual if you dont know how to reset it and make sure before you do it unplug your power cable from PSU. One more thing i have the same board just press the clear CMOS switch and hold it for a minute.

Scart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Yeah, I think from now on I'll stay away from ASUS Update. I read the manual but couldn't find anything on resetting the BIOS but I'll try your method tonight.

Thanks guys.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
There's several motherboards manuals that I read clearly stated something resetting bios after bios update. While your motherboard manual didn't say so, that might worked :wink: ...So, is it working now?

Scart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Thanks to everyone who replied I got the damn thing working again. :)

Tried holding in the reset CMOS button in while the power plug was out but that didn't work.

My last ditch effort was to take out the motherboard CMOS battery, I left it out for at least 15min put it back in, started the PC up and it was running fine.

The BIOS actually did upgrade as I'm now on the 901 version, don't know how that works but hey I'm not complaining.

Again, thanks to everyone's advice. :)

M0D1CA

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
So... in a list can you explain to me what to do to update it?
and also... How do i check the version of mother board i have... i think i have the one with the bugs even though i bought it in the beginning of march (can't belive they dont update there new boards) because i get alot of static when playing games and other things...

Thanks

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Read the manual it explains it there on how to flash the bios to a new version.

Where it says STRIKER EXTREME next to it on the right - bottom of it... has the rev number (REV....).

If you are getting the static with the onboard sound best thing would be to get a sound card like sound blaster or so. This is not the only board getting static with onboard sound.

FrancoisWiid

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I can switch on and off the pc with my striker 100%

but when I restart via the reset button or windows, it hangs, even before POST.... The lights are on but nobody's home.

Anyone any ideas... The fact that the pc works fine with the on/off button but not on restart in absolutely mind boggling... :-(

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Why is everyone still pulling out the floppy drive on these boards to update the bios? Ive been doing BIOS updates off a flashdrive on my P5B for ages.... theres a EzBIOS flash util in the bios flash drive in select bios file and done?

The_King

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Hi guys. This seems to be an old post and i am new so deal with it. LOL
I recently bought the Asus striker extreme mobo 3 weeks ago did bios update to latest version from vista using Asus update utility worked 100%. Few days ago i shutdown my pc then later that day came back and turn it on !!! Nothing the fans on the cpu and graphics cards all come on for a few seconds then goes off, the power on button does not work nor does the reset button.

Tried using the clear cmos button did not help but never tried removing the battery. Too late now. Sent the board back along with my tower waiting to hear from the company that deals with Asus products here in South Africa.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
ok take the CMOS battery off the motherboard and wait for 10 minutes and put it back in, now if that doesnt work then..... you are screwed coño!

solarappleman

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Got exactly the same situation with screwed bios oupdate. I was updating from within BIOS itself, no other software was involved. After reading this topic I just took off the battery, shortcutted its contacts and waited for a couple of minutes. Magically, IT WORKED! Bios was updated and works OK. Thank you for posting and many warm greatings from cold rainy Russia!

jjreinem

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
One thing that I didn't realize until I was in a similar situation and paging through my manual for details is that there is a jumper on most of these boards that disables the functionality of the Clear CMOS button to prevent you from accidentally hitting it when you're assembling the rig. I'm guessing that's why you guys had to take out your batteries.
I can't say for sure about any other board, but on the Striker Extreme it's right above the chasis intrusion detector. All you have to do is move the jumper one pin to the right, and the button works, which can be a huge time saver if you've got a case as cramped as mine and are as prone to... er... "creatively disabling" certain features like POST when experimenting with upgrades.

solidsnake

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
The last Striker BIOS was buggy. You can download a new version of the bios in the ASUS Website. For those with problems booting the computer, remove your pci-e VGA and install a simple PCI one (like those old trident cards). Open the EZ-FLASH (Alt +F2 on boot) and flash the newer BIOS.

tarek0

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
hello guys bios update is not a problem go to asus web then download the latest bios version from the web save it on ur desktop then open ur asus update tool and update ur bios through the file that u did save it on ur desktop it will flash and install ur new bios version in a second without having all these problems no need for usb or anything its so easy am doing this on my P5K-E/PREMIUM WIFI all the time t.c guys.

chip_50

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for your input Scart. I had a very simular problem with my Asus Striker Supreme. I went to flash the new bios 2002 using EZ Flash 2 from a USB stick. It took the bios ok and said "restarting in 5 seconds". It acted like it was going to shut down and reboot but just hung there with a black screen. After a long while I noticed the hard disk drive activity light was doing nothing and the computer was still running and not rebooting. I (like you) tried to hit the 'reboot button'. Nothing happened. So I finally got the courage to hold down the "off" button for about 10 seconds. The computer finally shut off. I then turned it back on. You can imagine what awaited me, nothing but a black screen and I naturally started to panic. Luckily I have a second PC in my office that I could still cruise the net with. I found your response the the problem and decided to try it. It worked! I also have the new bios I tried to flash the first time. Again, Thank you!

FYI, Glad you're out of the woods!

First of all, In the future the original BIOS should be on the driver installation CD, it was with my Striker II Extreme.

Second, in the future the next time ASUS releases a new BIOS update, write the new BIOS file only to a USB Flash Drive, make sure the actual BIOS file itself is the only thing on the Flash Drive, then use the ASUS Easy Flash 2 feature built in the BIOS, under the Tools Section of the BIOS to Flash the new BIOS file.