ASUS Striker Extreme...On my last nerve

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
So I got all my components to my new build yesterday. I put them all together like a kid in a candy store and when I finally powered on, the system doesnt start. I'm used to this because I usually forget some stupid minute detail in the building process and then recall it and smack myself ont he forehead and fix the problem. I could find no such error this time. Everything was plugged in and ready to go.

So I checked on the back of the case on the LED screen and it reads "DET DRAM", So I can only assume it's a problem with my RAM. More accurately it is a problem with my RAM DIMMS on the motherboard. I tried two of the four different sticks in each of the 4 slots. A1 or A2 + any other slot = NO BOOT. B1 and B2 without A1 or A2 = BOOT. My next thought is BIOS update.

For some reason this was a severe pain in the neck even with the ASUS "EZ"Flash utility. The system would hang on very dang stage of the flashing process and I was worried I would have to get a new BIOS ROM chip.

I successfully updated from whatever the first version of BIOS was, I believe 1104, to 1301. Same problem. So from 1301 to 1502 then 1503. Same problems on each.

Ok so I now have the latest BIOS version so I figure Ill start messing with the voltages and timings etc. I set my RAM timings to the recommended 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2 volts. Same problems. Messed with the BUS speeds on both the processor and RAM. Same problems. Changed the NBridge voltage to 1.4. Same problems. I tried it with my friends memory. Same problems. And during this whole thing, my system will NOT reboot from a restart. It HAS to be a full power off to POST again.

I removed the battery/Cleared CMOS at nearly every stage in this process.

So I decided to stay with 2GB for now and test the other features of my computer. Well thats hard to do when it wont recognize your SATA to boot it. It reads it in BIOS and I have SATA enabled. I tried setting the SATA RAID on and off but it did nothing. Tried reinstalling windows, but the windows installation didnt recognize the SATA drive. (Both vista and XP)

Ok so Im ready to RMA, but I REALLY dont want to wait however many weeks that would take with ASUS's seemingly apathetic view to their customer support department. I need help and where else to turn but tomshardware?

System Specs:

Intel Q6600 2.4GGHz
Asus Striker Extreme BIOS 1503
Patriot PDC24G6400LLQK PC800 1GB x4 (4-4-4-12)
Rosewill 750W Powersupply
Samsung 500GB 3.0GB/s SATA HD (not in RAID)
MSI NVIDIA 8800GT

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Ok disconnected all the peripherals and I am monitoring my voltage. Ill list it all for you.

Vcore - 1.21
Memory - 1.88
1.2V HT - 1.24
Northbridge - 1.23
Southbridge - 1.50
CPU VTT - 1.24
DDR2 Termination - 0.92
3.3V - 3.29
5V - 4.94
12V - 11.96-12.03

Its been steady for about 10 minutes so far, will leave it going for 20 more.

I also dont expect its the power supply being as I had this in my other computer and it worked flawlessly.

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
When I set the RAM timings should I also set the voltage to the recommended 2.2V? Also will SPD automatically be disabled when I change the settings or do I have to set that yourself?

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
> (2-2-2-12)

When all 4 DIMM slots are populated,
the Intel Northbridge on ASUS motherboards
cannot be set to ultra-high speeds or
to ultra-low latencies. That's just the
nature of the beast.

For example, on our P5WD2 Premium,
we have 4 x 512MB of Corsair DDR2-800, and
CPU-Z reports 5-5-5-18-21 timings;
and, this machine is very stable with these
settings (runs all day without halts).

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/

I'm sorry I meant 4-4-4-12. I changed it.

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Ok so I set it to 4-4-4-12 and it was stable but when I restarted it hung before POST so I set to 5-5-5-18. It restarted fine then I put my SATA and DVD drive back and it hung again. Right now Im waiting to see if Vista will recognize the HDD.

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
It's an nvidia chipset not intel. I believe they are native SATA ports being as they are on the main board and the BIOS seems to recognize it no problem. I'll try to find a way to change it to standard IDE. But its still hanging on every restart.

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Ok so I connected an old IDE hard drive to it, it recognized it, and I installed XP on it. Restarted, and XP wont start up. System is STILL hanging. I will send in an RMA as soon as ASUS decides it is open.

Thanks for all your help, supremelaw.

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Yeah, it looks like we covered every base twice. I think its just the most likely explanation that I got a bad board. :(

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Well hope that Rma doesn't hold you up to long. Just my two cents worth, alot of people want to knock Rosewills PSU right off the bat. If you have the Rx- 750watt with two 80mm led blue light fans then you have the same one I have and for everyones information it got the Jonnyguru stamp of approval, because it Is that good. It puts out very clean power, is made with quality parts, some of which are the same as PC and cooling use's in there PSU. Good choice in PSU and hope your new board works out for you.

slandew

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

Yeah that is the same one I have, and it has my seal of approval too. It worked amazingly in my last system and I haven't thought for a second thats what's causing my problem(s). For kicks and grins I'm going to try my other PS, just so I have more ammunition to through at the RMA.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Ya no sh@# supreme, cuz he has a good PSU! Not trying to be a ass but Ya Rosewill has had a shady history building PSU's, because they sub out to some pretty crappie companys to build there Psu's but our's tested very good at Jonnyguru and they are a good place to see honest reviews also. When I first came to this site, I had never built a computer from scratch before, but I did alot of research like like a month solid on every thing I could find on all brands, cpus, psu, mother boards and I went with this setup for my first build:::

1@ NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with open Window
1@ Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W power supply
1@ ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless edition AM2 Nvidia nforce 590 SLI mcp atx amd motherboard
1@ AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Windsor 3.2(stock can be over clocked to 3.7 stable!) GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-core Processor
1@ Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL92 mm 2 ball CPU cooler
2@ OCZ Gold 2GB STicks 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800(PC2 6400) can go up to 8GB with Mboard. 4GB on the board
1@ Seagate Sata/300 Barracuda 3.5" 500GB 16Mb Cache 3Gbs 7200Rpm
1@ Samsung SH-S203 DVD+R/-R 20x Sata retail ver. with lightsribe
1@ BFG 8800GTS Grafix card 512MB on board DDR3 Ram This is the one that beats the GTX/GT in almost every bench mark!
1@ MI keyboard USB 2.0 plug and play, with 15 hot keys 1@Optical mouse
3@ 120mm case fans with blue lcd lights
2@ 80mm fans in the RX-750watt power source with blue lcd lights

When I posted on advice for my new build I had ordered from the egg, first thing I heard from alot of people was get rid of this PSU from Rosewill cuz everybody said it was junk. WRONG! This has to be the best lookin PSU I could find and on top of it, this is a very strong PSU, that puts out clean power, that is very stable! Period! Maybe just maybe Rosewill got tired of being dogged on every form, and released the RX series to correct there problems. Looks like to me they did a very good job. Price wise this PSU take's the cake also, got mine for like $130.00 at newegg, and the RX-950 are even a better deal right now, there $179.00 plus a 70.00 rebate, so $109.00 for a Quality 950watt PSU. Looks like I be going with that in my next build, which will be a custom Intel build.

PuppetMAsta_85

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
try pushing a lil bit the bios chip and another thing if that dosent work do it again after you removed the gpu and memory all slots free and then clr cmos get the gpu and 1 stick of memry now try it and see if it works .if it does work reconect all the memory and you are good to go