Asus striker ii extreme, NO POST

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Hi to all at tom's HARDWARE...

Ok i have used my Asus striker ii extreme with no worries now for almost 4 years and i fell it was the best buy i ever made...this is what happened..one day i saw in my BIOS POST the my 4 times cpu 2.66ghz was only running at 1.66ghz so i rebooted my rig and want into Bios settings so i could set back to 2.66ghz but when i saved my new settings and the pc reset, i had lost my bios post and left with a black screen.now the fun starts i reset the bios and still the same,so i pulled the motherboard apart , so i was only left with 2gb 1600mhz of rem, one Extreme cpu at 2.66 x4...socket 775, 1 vga card NVIDIA 8800 GTX and a 1000w psu ,all HDD DVD ROMS was removed.now i done a full bios reset by pressing the button at the back of the board and tried to boot up again..and still the same..i only get HDD LED on the board with rest LED and power LED, and the VGA CARD fan SPEEDS up and cpu fan speeds up as well....so can anyone here give a little help , if you need more info just ask..many thanks for your time.

MIKE FBS

Solution

Well it's past it's warranty but I'm sure ASUS will fix it 4 U for a price, if it means that much.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Have the DRAM in slot 1 closest to CPU and firmly seated? 24pin and 4 Pin power connectors firmly connected on the mobo? 8800 GTX seated and both 6 pin power cables attached? Might see if you have or can borrow a different PSU and possibly a different GPU for testing

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Hi..thanks for your time.......yes i have a 1000w and a 750w psu which are both 110% working i know this because they both work on this abit motherboard fine this is what i am using now to talk to you on...just so you know i have been building gaming rig now for over 8 years....i have looked and made sure that all plugs are well seated in there socket and i have tried new ddr3 ram and a new vga card.......i have the striker ii extreme on my test table...is was all working just fine then the rest you know from my last post...

Regs
Mike

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Hi..also the striker ii extreme has a 8 pin connector to power the CPU and not a 4 pin...and i did not say i have tried 2 new CPU as well and a new VGA ENGTX460.So i am at a loss here i am now thinking on lines that the striker ii extreme has died and can't be fixed...:-(

Regs
MIKE

Your Striker II Extreme has probably reached the age of CMOS Battery failure and if it has? Even getting you going with the same battery, will result in the same thing happening again, so first of all get a new CR2032 battery or swap a know good battery from another M/B.

The CR2032 is a rechargeable Lithium battery, and even if it reads 3v, does not mean the 3v has any power behind it, it should read about at least 3.3v, but if it is the battery that came in the motherboard, it's done for, replace it!

It's the same as a car battery that reads 12v but will not crank your car, it does not have the cranking amps available to push the 12v.

Under the circumstances of the battery failing to hold the BIOS settings the rear clear button is not enough, you need to do a full Clear CMOS, Pull the wall power, Move the CRTC Jumper to the clear position and pull the M/B battery as well, go get yourself a cup of coffee or whatever you drink and leave it like that for at least 30 minutes.

Come back to the machine, replace the battery, (The perfect time to put the new battery in!), move the CLRTC (Clear Real Time Clock), jumper back to the run mode, plug in the wall power, and boot the machine.

That will usually get you back in business, but the battery needs to be replaced!

I had the same thing happen to my own Striker II Extreme M/B, and I have a friend that had the same M/B and his wouldn't clear after 30 minutes, so he left his overnight with the same situation I explained above, and it booted the next morning after resetting everything, Why his took that long?

Neither of us Knows? But both those M/Bs are still operational today! KUDOS to ASUS! :)

Try my instructions first, and if it doesn't reset after 30 minutes, do it again for a longer time period.

Note: The Striker II Extreme does not like you occupying all 4 memory slots especially if you are overclocking, there's even a note to the effect in the motherboard manual, indicating using the two Primary dual channel memory slots only.

Besides some of it's finickiness the Striker II Extreme is one of the Best Motherboards I ever owned, it allowed overclocking my Q9550 to a rock solid 4ghz on air cooling.

Ryan :)

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
The CR2032 is a rechargeable Lithium battery, and even if it reads 3v, does not mean the 3v has any power behind it, it should read about at least 3.3v, but if it is the battery that came in the motherboard, it's done for, replace it!

ok i have replace the old battery for a new CR2032 after 30min..

Come back to the machine, replace the battery, (The perfect time to put the new battery in!), move the CLRTC (Clear Real Time Clock), jumper back to the run mode, plug in the wall power, and boot the machine.

ok i have done this.

That will usually get you back in business, but the battery needs to be replaced!

....boo hoo..still the same...this m/b was put away for some time and with out the battery..

nice try and thank you for your in put...

Regs
MIKE

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
No it was not...the m/b stop when i put the cpu back to 2.66ghz and save the settings to the Bios and the mb rebooted but got no post...just like i said in my 1st post....i would love for the mb to be up and running again and any help would be good...

Regs
MIKE

Well it's past it's warranty but I'm sure ASUS will fix it 4 U for a price, if it means that much.

Solution

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
It was a Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6700
(8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

and when i reset it back to 2.66 from 1.66GHz i lost the post and i could not boot the mobo after that.the rest you know..

Mike

MIKE FBS

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
iI know..and i still use it...so i will prob get a Striker II Extreme motherboard from ebay or even buy a new Striker II Extreme motherboard because it never let me down on any Game i put on my reg....just updated the pci EXPRESS CARD from Time to Time....

Mike

Finding a Striker II Extreme today even on Ebay is taking a chance you may get a bad board, those that bought the Striker back in the day pretty much all were going to stress it, plus they probably would want more for it today than it originally cost, but you might get lucky?