Asus Strix 370-I Issues

Dec 5, 2018
Hi all,

Im new to this site so please bear with me while I try and explain my issue.

My build:

Motherboard: Asus Strix 370-I

CPU: 8700K (No overclock all optimised defaults in bios)

Graphics: GTX 1080 (Returning due to possible fault)

Current Graphics: GTX 1060 (Backup)

Storage: 2x Samsung 960 256 GB Evo M.2 using both M.2 Slots | Samsung 860 500 GB Evo on Sata 6G_2 Port | 2TB WD Green Sata HDD on Sata 6G_1 Port

Memory: Team - T-Force XTREEM 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory

Power: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Modular PSU

Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52

Case: NZXT H200i

Ok so where to begin, I built this all back in May of this year so its not old at all, I installed windows 10 Pro and everything was working perfectly fine up until around August this year. I set up a RAID 0 between the two NVME drives in both slots on the motherboard, this worked fine and gave me a good speed boost on boot up. Then all of a sudden when I would boot up the pc to windows, it would be very laggy, the mouse would freeze in random positions for a second or two and windows were very slow, I began by looking in the device manager to see what the issue was, it started showing the Intel UHD Graphics alongside the GTX 1080. I thought nothing of it and continued as normal just dealing with these small issues. Then what started to happen was at the windows login screen the resolution would change to a low one, I would login, go to device manager check the status and it would say that the Microsoft basic display adaptor is missing, so I remedied this, installed it and went on. Again at login the problem started getting worse, it began to BSOD throwing up the error DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION, or VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. This doesn't happen always but occasionally it will. So I decided to wipe all hard drives, to a clean windows install on every single drive, just to check if the drives were faulty, the issue persisted on all drives. Failing that I RMA'd the GTX 1080 and bought a brand new GTX 1060 to test and see if the GFX card was going bad, same issue with this one. Theres only one PCI slot on this motherboard so theres no option to test that. I have run the windows memory test to see if theres any bad RAM, it reports back no issues. I have run HWMonitor to check the voltages on the 12V Rail and all other voltages, everything is stable and reading how it should. I have updated the motherboard bios to the latest version, still causing the same issue. I have checked and replaced all PSU wires to the components, and the issue still persists. During gaming the computer runs fine and does not crash. When I run the PC using the onboard graphics it runs fine and no issues are reported. All drives are installed and updated. When booting in safe mode the problem doesn't seem to be present. Now the BSOD's seem to have reduced since disabling the SATA 6G_1 Port connected to the WD 2TB HDD, but every single time I boot to windows it will reinstall the NVIDIA Drivers looking at the "EVENTS" tab through device manager. This means it boots, it hangs for a bit, screen goes black and the driver reinstalls.

I am honestly lost as to what could be the issue here. Im hoping someone can chime in and help me out with this.

Cheers for reading!:bounce:

Lutfij

Titan
While all the tests took place, were you on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard? I'd ask you to backup all critical content from C drive(OS installation drive) and reinstall your OS after you're recreated your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

You may also want to see if you can borrow a PSU that is of the same make but of 650W and try it out.

Dec 5, 2018

I can confirm all tests were done while the latest BIOS was installed, I have tried to install windows on all drives connected to troubleshoot if its a drive issue, they all had the same problem occurring.

I haven't tried a different PSU with more power, do you think this could be a lack of power issue?

Dec 5, 2018
What I don't understand is why does it show the Intel Graphics alongside the NVIDIA card in device manager? And why does it request to install the NVIDIA driver everytime it boots?

I just checked the event viewer and just after/during boot there are several warnings saying that the graphics driver stopped responding but has recovered?