ASUS STRIX 980 TI OC'D minimum components needed for performance

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
I sold my 980 ti and was working perfectly for litlle over 2 years,i sell it on Ebay,person says its defective because"It doesnt play some game properly"I know the card works fine,I'm thinking CHIP bottleneck,rams low,or could be a lot.I received a pic with no comment for the "proof" its defective..........https://imgur.com/a/QIaq9....I dont know what this is.....i would just like a link to find the basic system requirements for the asus gtx 980 ti OC to show the buyer,I also asked what they had as components to try to figure out the issue,but im not losing 30 buks in postage because i know it was working fine.Thanks for the help in advance.

Solution
yeah, his system can run the gtx980; however depending on the game being played his cpu will bottleneck the heck out of him.

as for his claim for a refund, I would contest. because it sounds like he's just trying to scam. I learned my lesson over a decade ago on EBAY. Ebay's "buyer protection" rules are draconian and encourage serious fraud. Unless you took precautions to protect yourself, if you DO issue the refund I highly suspect you won't get back your 980, but a broken one he swapped.

that's how the scam works.

And there you have the problem with selling used equipment on Ebay. Buyer claims product is defective to get his money back, sends you his defective card and keeps your good card. Unless you kept track of the serial numbers, you have no way to dispute his claims. If you have to, eat the postage, but make him send your card back first before you issue a refund.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
This was the specs of system from the buyer...would these components work well with the gtx 980 TI?....................."fx 8350 4.4g 16 ram 850w powerapply 990fx gaming motherboard, I think is nothing about power because I can run 280x great"

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

I absolutely hear you,first thought comes to my head,but im just gonna keep it as is if he cant fix it,becasue i have NO REFUNDS listed on the item in question...I was just trying to be nice to helkp out,and it doesnt matter,i have the serial numbers,i register all my items,especially expensive pc components,I;m trying to think hes being honest and has a comp taht cant handle it,but either way...YOU ARE RIGHT..ill never sell any type of electronics on ebay again

yeah, his system can run the gtx980; however depending on the game being played his cpu will bottleneck the heck out of him.

as for his claim for a refund, I would contest. because it sounds like he's just trying to scam. I learned my lesson over a decade ago on EBAY. Ebay's "buyer protection" rules are draconian and encourage serious fraud. Unless you took precautions to protect yourself, if you DO issue the refund I highly suspect you won't get back your 980, but a broken one he swapped.

that's how the scam works.

Solution

Well, an FX chip certainly is no gaming champ, and I never heard of a Powerapply 850 watt PSU, so that is suspect. Also, if he didn't clean out the AMD drivers for the 280x before installing the nVidia drivers, that could cause issues.
As an aside, the link you posted shows as "not found" so I don't know what image you had linked.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

YUP,you guys are both thinking like me,i thank both of you for the advice,clarkjd is right as well,making sure i get it back BEFORE i issue a refund to make sure its mine,like i said i have the serial numbers...thnak you very much guys,i hate to think everyone is evil....but im 45 and from the bronx,ny lol...ill give him a cahnce tryin to fix it,but if it comes down to it and i get annoyed,ill just keep his money,cause i have NO RETURNS on the sale,if i do have to give it back there will be no issue of refund until i see its my card...otherwise,his money is in limbo....and i paid 10 buks for shipping,oh wait 20,cause i promised the box and disc that i couldnt find at the time and resent that....

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014

agreed,i think AMD is for people that just want almost awesome quality for almost free,i had a 4790k overclocked to 4.6 on that card and it never had a problem...and right..he needed to revo unistall cause might have conflicting iissues...funny thing of all this,i really do apprecciatte the help,cause its learning,but i was hesitant to sell the card on ebay...now look at me...askling people for help...goping left and right...it aint worth it,i should have just kept the card and saved the time and drives to the post office and typind and begging for answers.,...live and learn

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
ALL this had made me smarter,i appreciate it.Advice to all,never seel pc compnents on ebay,keep them or seel to friends at a discount,less aggravation,i spent the last 3 hours of my vauable free time trying to get my money back and still losing 40 buks postage..ebay is a waste unless you sell socks