Question Asus Strix B-450F Gaming Mobo Not Booting [Orange Light]

xsplattermusic

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
I built a PC a long time ago and ended up selling to a friend for cheap as all he needed was a graphics card and a better PSU and it was good for gaming (At least I think). But a couple months ago, he told me he had a problem as nothing was popping up on his screen. I had just gotten new ram for my PC so I had extra ram to play with. He had Corsair DDR3 ram and then I removed it and put in Corsair DDR4 and that is what he was using since (it was fixed). Tonight, he called me saying that he moved rooms and that it wasn't popping up again (the screen). I came over to his house and put in another set of ram my friend had. The brand was G.Skill DDR4 3600. Now nothing is popping up. No boot, nothing. I put a Corsair Ram in slot A1 (single one) and it booted for the one and only time. I wanted to put in another one and it didn't boot again (slot A2) and I didn't boot again. I took the one out of slot A2 and left the one slot in A1 and it's not booting like it did the one time. I honestly have no idea what to do, I have reason to believe that the ram slots may be busted.

Specs.

GPU: Radeon 5700XT
CPU: Ryzen 1600
Mobo: B450-f Gaming AMD
RAM: Originally Corsair DDR3, then Corsair DDR4, we are trying G.Skill DDR4 right now.
PSU: It is like a 500 something power supply, I have told him to get a new one lol.

As of right now, the one time it DID boot, it showed colors like orange, red, white, and green.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Any info will be provided if needed! Thank you.

"He had Corsair DDR3 ram and then I removed it and put in Corsair DDR4"

You can't put DDR4 on a DDR3 board. Something isn't right here. Did your friend change his board at the same time you gave him the DDR4?

It is impossible that it was DDR3 before. It was DDR4 too.

xsplattermusic

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
"He had Corsair DDR3 ram and then I removed it and put in Corsair DDR4"

You can't put DDR4 on a DDR3 board. Something isn't right here. Did your friend change his board at the same time you gave him the DDR4?

It is impossible that it was DDR3 before. It was DDR4 too.

My friend and I did most of the changing, I don't think he touched anything.

So what would be the problem?

Not the first time I see a computer not boot after you move it.
  • Make sure everything is plugged correctly.
  • Reseat the GPU
  • Clear CMOS
  • Remount the CPU
If nothing works this system will need to be breadboarded with the minimum installed to troubleshoot it. Could be the PSU. Could be the GPU. RAM or the slots. The PCIe slot on the board. A lot of stuff can cause this.

xsplattermusic

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Not the first time I see a computer not boot after you move it.
  • Make sure everything is plugged correctly.
  • Reseat the GPU
  • Clear CMOS
  • Remount the CPU
If nothing works this system will need to be breadboarded with the minimum installed to troubleshoot it. Could be the PSU. Could be the GPU. RAM or the slots. The PCIe slot on the board. A lot of stuff can cause this.

Maybe it wasn't DDR3 then originally. But if it was, would the computer boot at all if I put in DDR3?