[SOLVED] Asus Strix b250f mobo, how to run 2-8GB at 2400 mhz ram

Mar 3, 2023
HI, I have i 5-7600k cpu 7th gen. I need to know how to run my ram at 2400hrz, Only getting 2133hrz.
I might need detail on how to set it manually (timing, volt).
It is stated that the mobo can run at 2400hrz with my 7th gen intel cpu.

any help would be nice. TY

Solution
Your ram cpu and motherboard are both capable of running 2400mhz.

Though, this is an old platform and your ram might be 2133 too, so please check this first. (Should be written on the small sticker on the ram stick)
If it is faster than 2133 (2400, 2666, 3000 ect.) then you have a few options.
Please update your bios before proceeding with any type of bios tinkering.

Firstly, use XMP, which should be a 1 click ordeal.
Enter your bios, and then enter advanced mode (Usually F7 on asus, but it should be written somewhere on the front page.)
I believe XMP shows up on the first page, if not, enter the tuning/overclocking tab and look for XMP settings.

You may also do this manually, by going in the tuning/overclocking tab, and looking for...

Though, this is an old platform and your ram might be 2133 too, so please check this first. (Should be written on the small sticker on the ram stick)

Enter your bios, and then enter advanced mode (Usually F7 on asus, but it should be written somewhere on the front page.)
I believe XMP shows up on the first page, if not, enter the tuning/overclocking tab and look for XMP settings.

You may also do this manually, by going in the tuning/overclocking tab, and looking for ram speed, and just manually changing this to 2400mhz, Though I would not recommend this since overclocking ram willy nilly is pretty flaky.
You won't cause any damage to your hardware by doing this, in the worse case scenario that your PC won't boot after changing said ram speed, just reset CMOS.
If you would like to know more about manual RAM overclocking, there are tons of indepth guides on the internet.

I would also like to mention that you would not get much if any added performance from upgrading to 2400mts from 2133mts, 3-5% at most.

Reactions: Username88
Solution
Mar 3, 2023

You may also do this manually, by going in the tuning/overclocking tab, and looking for ram speed, and just manually changing this to 2400mhz, Though I would not recommend this since overclocking ram willy nilly is pretty flaky.
You won't cause any damage to your hardware by doing this, in the worse case scenario that your PC won't boot after changing said ram speed, just reset CMOS.
If you would like to know more about manual RAM overclocking, there are tons of indepth guides on the internet.

I would also like to mention that you would not get much if any added performance from upgrading to 2400mts from 2133mts, 3-5% at most.
Thx for reply siaan312

I bought (2) 8GB ram sticks for $37, I just couldn't pass that up sense its been bothering me for a few years about which is needed/better for gaming, 8GB or 16, A freak'n unnecessary long term headache.

When I first booted up the pc after installing 16 GB ram, The bios info about the ram stated 2400mhz, but the DRAM status said ram was @ 2133 for both ram sticks-of course, XMP was disabled and still is. I wasn't even going to try to manually set it up because the 2-4GB ram I had in before this would not set @ 2400 with XMP enabled or setting it manually so I just exit bios.

After posting here, and reading your reply, and thinking why bios info stated 2400 but not DRAM, I had to go and enter bios and to my surprise, Ram is @ 2400hrz all across the board.

Thx for reply siaan312

I bought (2) 8GB ram sticks for $37, I just couldn't pass that up sense its been bothering me for a few years about which is needed/better for gaming, 8GB or 16, A freak'n unnecessary long term headache.

When I first booted up the pc after installing 16 GB ram, The bios info about the ram stated 2400mhz, but the DRAM status said ram was @ 2133 for both ram sticks-of course, XMP was disabled and still is. I wasn't even going to try to manually set it up because the 2-4GB ram I had in before this would not set @ 2400 with XMP enabled or setting it manually so I just exit bios.

After posting here, and reading your reply, and thinking why bios info stated 2400 but not DRAM, I had to go and enter bios and to my surprise, Ram is @ 2400hrz all across the board.
You need to look in task manager to see what speed your ram is running at.

TRENDING THREADS