ASUS Strix B450-F Gaming RAM Compatibility Question.

Hi all,

I've recently upgrade my Asrock AB350 Pro4 as I was experiencing RAM compatibilities (only) when I was streaming and playing games at the same time.

I bought myself an ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming in China for about 75$. So pretty much a steal.

Mobo QVL list indicated that my RAM is compatible however that hasn't stopped issues in the past.

CPU: R7 2700X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb 3200Mhz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR)

What do you guys think?

Solution
Are you sure it was RAM compatibility issues and not something else? Even if RAM isn't on the QVL it should work. Just not at the advertised OC speed. It should still function on a JEDEC standardized timing and speed it is designed to default at.

That RAM is on the QVL. It should work with its XMP profile barring some other issue.
Are you sure it was RAM compatibility issues and not something else? Even if RAM isn't on the QVL it should work. Just not at the advertised OC speed. It should still function on a JEDEC standardized timing and speed it is designed to default at.

That RAM is on the QVL. It should work with its XMP profile barring some other issue.

Solution

drawingpin

Reputable
Dec 5, 2016
Check the list to see if it's listed as SS or DS. I bought some memory installed as DS (as thought they were a matching pair) and experienced problems. I then checked the list to see the memory on there but only listed as SS.

Oct 9, 2018
Yes, that RAM is on the compatibility list, but if you look on G.Skill's website, they do not list (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) as compatible, however, they list (F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX) as compatible; evidently according to G. Skill, the "X" donates the AMD-optimized memory.
UPDATE:
I spoke with G. Skill tech support yesterday (10/18/2018) and was advised that if the latest and greatest Bios/Drivers are installed, the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR should work the same as the F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX. No need to spend the extra $17 :)

drawingpin

Reputable
Dec 5, 2016

Sounds about right. I updated my bios a couple of weeks ago and the I have memory is now supported in dual channel mode. Also Corsairs management software is now able to recognize their memory in B450 boards. It just sounds like the software has not been able to keep up with the hardware.

Oct 9, 2018

Yeah, running the 0602 bios (1001 is a waste of time to try, it is WAY screwed up) I have my new F4-3200C16D-16GTZR running at 3200 with apparently no issues with RAM - however, I am running my 2200G at 3800 and can't get the graphics side up over 1100 (both sides running auto voltage) without BSoD. Also occasionally having a weird spike in temp (last night while running Stability test, recorded 252° C on CPU) in AIDA64... haven't figured that one out yet. In communication with Asus support for the last few days.