tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
Hi, i recently purchased an asus strix g15 laptop with the following specs:

I7 10750h
16gb Ram
Rtx 2060 non maxq
240hz 3ms display 15.6

After doing some research I found out that asus has actually used liquid metal for their new lineup of 2020 laptops. I want to know if I can change this in the future if temperatures get too high. And apply normal Arctic mx4 thermal paste instead.
Thank you

Solution
Reading their tech briefing on this you probably wont need to replace the liquid metal, it is also very hard to clean off. If you do ever thing about replacing it i would use the same Thermal Grizzly’s Conductonaut as that is what they engineered the laptop cpu cooler to use.

It seems they spent well over a year doing tests that even intel didnt know about, spent time RnD on how to put it on the cpu and designed a barrier around the cpu so none of it moves away and shorts out other parts.
Reading their tech briefing on this you probably wont need to replace the liquid metal, it is also very hard to clean off. If you do ever thing about replacing it i would use the same Thermal Grizzly’s Conductonaut as that is what they engineered the laptop cpu cooler to use.

It seems they spent well over a year doing tests that even intel didnt know about, spent time RnD on how to put it on the cpu and designed a barrier around the cpu so none of it moves away and shorts out other parts.

Solution
Not sure, most of the time laptops share heat pipes and cooling fins between the cpu and gpu. Liquid metal isnt like thermal past so you should be able to remove the block and reseat it without having to add anymore , i would just be extremely careful when removing the CPU block so you dont shift the barrier or smear any of the liquid metal onto other components.