Asus Strix GL702VM-DB71 Gaming Laptop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo007

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
2 memory slots?? on a Skylake based laptop?? #AsusROG gamers build. You have to be joking. A Clevo/Sager has 4 slots for 64Gb capacity.

Clamyboy74

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
It makes no sense on how a 17in laptop cant disperse heat more effectively than a 15in. Asus should had added in larger fans/more heatpipes rather than sticking with the same system as their 15in model imo.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
So...this is a GAMING laptop...and it's been fairly well proven that quad channel effectively does nothing, or in some cases even hinders, performance in gaming where latency is more of a factor than raw speed. For that matter single channel is sometimes even faster than dual channel. So yeah, it makes complete sense for it to be limited to dual channel in a value priced gaming laptop. If you're using this for encoding or editing you'll get decent performance but this isn't your ideal set up, nor is it being marketed as such.

As an owner of this laptop, it's just fine for anything I throw at it. Got it for $1299 and dropped a 500GB 850 EVO m.2 in it that I grabbed for $129. $1430 and it runs like a scalded cat. I'm not sure what more you can ask for at that price point.

William Henrickson

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Bought the 128GB SSD/1TB version for $1299, removed the HDD for noise reasons and put another 128GB SSD in I had laying around. Will do a 960 EVO next time it goes on sale. Very happy.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
@TJ Hooker
Fair enough, but I don't see any advantage at this price point. I can chuck an extra 16GB stick in for 32GB, I don't know what on earth I'd need more than that for in a value gaming laptop. I guess I just don't understand it as a criticism. It's $200 cheaper than comparable 17" 1060 laptops (or, was at time of my purchase...and I did a lot of looking). If you're buying this to run a half dozen VMs, then you purchased the wrong laptop....but as a cheap gaming laptop, this will run -games- as fast as any other similarly equipped gaming laptop regardless of how many more RAM slots it has, and that's the factor in the equation that matters at this price point.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
@POMPOMPAIHN

I have to agree with you. I'm running 16GB on my desktop 1080p system and games never really go much more than 2-4 with a few exceptions. I've got 32GB on my other 2 systems and even at 4k I've yet to see it used in games and this is a gaming laptop not a workstation. By the time 32GB is needed for games there's not much about this laptop that wouldn't already be out of date. Vram is another story and at 1080p the 6GB will pretty much cover all games.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
@CLAMYBOY74

I also agree with you. It seems like Asus cut corners to keep the price down by simply making a larger case for the display and probably re-used everything else. A strategy like that would allow most internals to be mass produced for lower costs. Anyone who puts a SSD in one needs to be careful, nand doesn't like high temps. Definite trade off but it could be worse.

I'm happy to see Asus and a few other manufacturers breaking with the idea of $2000-4000 'gaming' laptops. It's really gotten out of control lately. So little but costing so much. Almost every time I see the label 'gaming laptop' slapped on something I feel there's an exec who should be slapped for lying.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
@LEDHEAD11

Yeah, this ah heck does get HOT, but haven't noticed any throttle issues with the CPU/GPU. The 850 EVO is probably going to have a shortened lifespan from heat, but it's a trade off. Nice thing is with the 1TB spinner drive in there I just back up the EVO to it so worst case I'm just back to slow and spinny.

huyenthoi

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
As an owner of this laptop, it's just fine for anything I throw at it. Got it for $1299 and dropped a 500GB 850 EVO m.2 in it that I grabbed for $129. $1430 and it runs like a scalded cat. I'm not sure what more you can ask for at that price point.
<a href="http://happywheelsaz.com" >happy wheels</a> |

huyenthoi

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

<a href="http://happywheelsaz.com" >happy wheels</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.