Asus Strix GTX 750 Ti OC Has Low-Noise Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
At low speeds, the fans on the video cards aren't really noticeable. So I don't really care as much if you turn them off or not.

It's when you have a graphically intensive game that your video card's fans start to really spin. I want to see more innovation that can allow for effective cooling at either minimal speeds or can somehow diminish the noise they make.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I want to see more innovation that can allow for effective cooling at either minimal speeds or can somehow diminish the noise they make.

Well, the biggest difficulty is the small space with which to work. There are some triple-slot cards that take up so much space because of the cooling solution, but I feel bad enough losing one slot on my motherboard to the GPU fans, let alone two slots or even more. I don't know the demographics on this, but I feel like I'm in the majority of people that use their gaming rig also for work, not just gaming. And as such, I need those slots for other devices and not just have them blocked by huge GPU coolers.

I saw a video on YouTube of a man who modded a Hyper 212 onto a graphics card, and the cooling performance was incredible. But it also took up, y'know, a Hyper 212's worth of space. That kind of size for a CPU cooler is fine because system builders generally buy CPUs without the stock cooler, or just toss out the stock cooler, and then purchase a heatsink and fan based on their constraints inside their chosen case. But that kind of customizability is just not what the GPU market is set up for. So that's why we get these solutions that we're accustomed to. Because they fit in the very small amount of space without sacrificing access to motherboard components, and replacing the cooler would be an incredible hassle besides.

That could change, and I hope it does, but the CPU cooler market is so huge because everyone needs a CPU in their computer, and many feel compelled for an aftermarket cooler. But not everyone needs a graphics card, let alone also feels compelled to change the cooler.

I want to see more innovation that can allow for effective cooling at either minimal speeds or can somehow diminish the noise they make.

Well, the biggest difficulty is the small space with which to work. There are some triple-slot cards that take up so much space because of the cooling solution, but I feel bad enough losing one slot on my motherboard to the GPU fans, let alone two slots or even more. I don't know the demographics on this, but I feel like I'm in the majority of people that use their gaming rig also for work, not just gaming. And as such, I need those slots for other devices and not just have them blocked by huge GPU coolers.

Now you've made me curious - what other items would you need for work that would take up extra slots? Maybe if you were an audio/video engineer, I could see that you might have a PCIe sound card or even a video capture card. But what else would you need?

dstarr3

Distinguished
Now you've made me curious - what other items would you need for work that would take up extra slots? Maybe if you were an audio/video engineer, I could see that you might have a PCIe sound card or even a video capture card. But what else would you need?

Sound card, SATA card (cheap one to host optical drives because my onboard SATA slots are all occupied with storage), Wi-Fi card, USB 3.0 card (needed another internal header). That leaves me with one slot open next to my graphics card. I theoretically could fit a triple-slot cooler, but then the neighboring card would be blocking the fans and that's not ideal at all.

Doesn't take a lot to really need all the PCI slots I can get. I personally don't want to lose two or three slots to a GPU cooler just to save some noise. And I certainly don't want to build a second computer to dedicate to just gaming.

Hmm... maybe you need an upgrade to a new H97 board with built-in Wi-Fi and more USB 3.0 slots. A number of the H-series boards give you 6 SATA slots, which is a nice exchange for not having overclocking if you really need a lot of storage. Different ones also have better built-in sound, if you want that.

My overall point was just for more innovation in cooling solutions for graphics cards. I would say that I don't want a triple-slot cooler, but something that consumes only two slots (normal for most higher performing cards anyway) would be fine. That would hopefully fit mini-ITX as well.

Also...
I wonder if they could design a card with two fans but have the fan near the exhaust act as a BLOWER style to move as much air out the rear exhaust but have the other fan act as normal pushing air down over the card and heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.