ASUS Strix GTX1080 temperature issue

Nov 8, 2018
So, I have an ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G graphics card in my PC, and if I lift the card a few milimeters the temperature goes up about 20 degrees celsius under load. In idle it's just 2-3 C.
I made a video about it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVvvAojS7ms
My guess is that there is something with the thermal sensor in card. Can anybody saw something like that? Because if not, I'll send it back to Asus to fix it. It's a few months old card.

Solution
with the opposit, I mean that a "lane" could be "cut" and when you push the rad and the card togheter that you then make the surcet (i think i spelled that wrong but i don't know for sure, what's the correct spelling?) whole again than can the current flow "good" and gives the correct temps.
Nov 8, 2018

I checked it out, the fans are running correctly. They going even faster when I lift the card because of the temperature, you can hear on the video too. In idle the fans are not spinning, but the temperature increase then too.

jjspelen

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018
do you have a laser temp. meter maybe or just something that can just see how hot it exualy is? then you can see if it is a glitch or really that hot and when it is down the sensor isn't doing the correct readings?
it's just to see if when the sensor is not working properly
but it's probably a lose wire or connector that is doing something with the sensor or a pci-e lane that's not working properly. (if i say that correctly, i'm just not really that technical, but i hope i'm right)

Nov 8, 2018
I have at home somewhere a laser temp. meter, if find it I try to measure it...I don’t think so that it’s with the PCIE slot, because I tried to press a little bit the radiator with the card (without lifting the card) and its do the same thing...

jjspelen

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018

soo if you don't lift the card but just puch the radiator and the card togetter then you get the samen result?
because then I think it's something with a lose wire or connector in the card that's wired to the sensor that maybe the lane to the motherboard/cpu get's more power than the sensor gives that than measures to "more" degrees while it's not there. or it's just the opposit

Nov 8, 2018

Yes, just like you said.

jjspelen

Prominent
Nov 1, 2018
with the opposit, I mean that a "lane" could be "cut" and when you push the rad and the card togheter that you then make the surcet (i think i spelled that wrong but i don't know for sure, what's the correct spelling?) whole again than can the current flow "good" and gives the correct temps.

Solution
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah, I think that's gonna be the problem, I'll wait a few days, and if nobody else had this issue I send back to Asus to fix it.