[SOLVED] Asus Strix OC 2080 TI or EVGA FTW3 2080 TI

Secrios

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
So I'm upgrading from a Titan X Maxwell to an RTX 2080 TI, but I am struggling to make the correct buying choice.

What I need is the card to be is quiet (Even when idle too) and functional at high FPS for competitive gaming. Low temperature if possible.

I read that the Asus Strix OC is pretty quiet and comes with a quiet mode feature. Has a decent overclock and according to some reviews a stable track record with item quality. However their RMA is a bit strict.

EVGA has their FTW3 with one of the highest overclocks out there and a dedicated fan base reputation with a good customer support. With that said however they seem to have a few bad review complaining about having to RMA copies early and major coil whine. Not to mention I hear the fans can turn on and off on a dime and I can't tell if it's a feature or a defect? Lastly I fear that it might be software dependent with the precision tool. I'm more of a plug and play kind of person. External software just gets me OCD on what to leave on and turn off.

In my mind Asus seems to be the safer bet, but my greedy side is worried I would regret missing all that extra mhz.

Do any of you have these cards and can way in on your experience?

If nothing else, I want the kind of card I can set up and then forget about without having to constantly open up the pc to check if I'm hearing funny noises or behaviour.

Solution
I don't have any of those cards, but keep in mind that your experience with any of these products CAN vary.

Actually, the 2080Tis with the highest potential overclocks are:
-the 2080Ti Kingpin. Hefty price tag though.
-Msi 2080Ti Gaming X Trio with the 90.02.0B.40.56 bios. I don't know of any other 2080Ti with a 406w power limit...

You want the card to be quiet, but you're going to have to find a compromise between noise and performance with this one.
The gpu power limits aside, unlike your old Maxwell, Nvidia's Pascal and Turing gpu boost algorithms have several temperature THRESHOLDS.
The cooler these cards run, the higher their boost clock speeds will be - even applying an overclock will not ignore this.
It should go without saying...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have any of those cards, but keep in mind that your experience with any of these products CAN vary.

Actually, the 2080Tis with the highest potential overclocks are:
-the 2080Ti Kingpin. Hefty price tag though.
-Msi 2080Ti Gaming X Trio with the 90.02.0B.40.56 bios. I don't know of any other 2080Ti with a 406w power limit...

You want the card to be quiet, but you're going to have to find a compromise between noise and performance with this one.
The gpu power limits aside, unlike your old Maxwell, Nvidia's Pascal and Turing gpu boost algorithms have several temperature THRESHOLDS.
The cooler these cards run, the higher their boost clock speeds will be - even applying an overclock will not ignore this.
It should go without saying that this beast of a card will run rather warm - I would not bother with some 'quiet mode' feature, as that comes at the cost of performance.

You may want to consider the hybrid or fully liquid cooled models if you're concerned with noise:
-Msi Seahawk/EK X
-EVGA FTW3 Hybrid/Hydrocopper
-Gigabyte Waterforce/Xtreme Waterforce

Solution