Asus Strix R9 390X + NZXT Kraken G12 = Crash under load

Jul 13, 2018
I put a NZXT Kraken G12 (with a Corsair H55) on my Asus Strix R9 390X because it was reaching 94C under load. Now the temps are really good, but i get a blackscreen every time I open a game or start a gpu benchmark (after about 1 second). I also tried underclocking, but I still got a blackscreen.

(Also, my second monitor, that's connected with the HDMI-port on my motherboard (Intel UHD-Graphics 630) is still displaying my desktop).

I am sure, that it isn't a psu issue, because 1.It worked fine with the stock cooler (just too hot and too loud) and 2.It's a 850 watt XFX PSU.

(Sorry if there are any mistakes, because english isn't my native language.)

Jul 13, 2018
Okay, I just tried taking the whole thing off and putting it on the gpu again. This time Forza 7 started with Artifacts in the Main Menu. Then after about 25 seconds, I got a blackscreen again.

Jul 13, 2018
I now put the stock cooler on the gpu again, and now it seems to work fine. But the strange thing is, that the temps are still a lot lower than before (with the stock cooler), Because the max core temperature for the GPU is now 76 C (94C before)

May 31, 2018
are you still getting artifacts?

so we have the same set up for the r9 390x except I am using a corsair h50 with a 120mm radiator. my card still runs really hot. with 100percent load I still get too 95degrees except it takes longer. my idle from a fresh restart is about 34degree and I move close to 50 degrees watching youtube. I have 2x140mm push at the top and 1x140mm from pull and 1x140mm side panel pull config with my radiator at the bottom with 2x120mm fan in a push pull config. and I still can fry eggs on my video card. its just the r9 390x, it runs really hot. all the g12 and the AIO does is slow down the roasting. I have not tried putting back my stock cooler on it, but im glad your card runs better with it back on. I have heard that some makers of the card does a poor job with the thermal paste. but the good thing is that with other games that does not use 100percent load all the time it does really well. I don't usually go past 72 degrees. but the games that 100percent load will for sure make your card an oven. unless someone else have any suggestion that would not cost me more than the 120bucks it cost me to slow down the heat. then I think me and simon are all ears.

TRENDING THREADS