Asus Strix RoG GTX 1050Ti OC 4GB, PC shuts down, followed by sparks.

Feb 5, 2019
Hi all!

I wanted to upgrade my GPU and bought the Asus one, mentioned in the title. I installed it through the DP. At first I had no signal on the monitor. I tested the rest of the ports and the result was the same. After shutting down the PC, I used the DP again. This time it worked. I got an initial message that the Overclocking wasn't working properly. I installed the drivers and then tried to configure my settings. I chose 2560 X 1440 at 144Hz and then I started calibrating the colour. The computer shut down completely. I saw instantly sparks near the port of the GPU and smell came out of the tower.
I turned off the main power button. After that the PC didn't restart. I re installed the MSI card and restarted the PC. Now everything works fine!

Any ideas?

It is strange because Asus is a very good brand and my PC meets all the requirements.
The Asus has a 3 Year Limited Warranty, if it is a GPU issue, will the warranty cover it?

Thank you!

System:
i5 3470 @ 3.20Hz
MB: Asus
12GB RAM Kingston Hyper X
Win 7 64bit
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
GPU: MSI 550Ti OC
2x SSD, 2x SATA.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
If it was from PSU, you'll have no chance to replace it.
However it may be a defected GPU and you need to prove that PSU isn't the culprit. Test it on another PC. If it works without issues, you're in the open. Don't try to test out the GPU, wouldn't plug it to anything if it sparked. Ask for a replacement right away

Feb 5, 2019
Thank you! I didn't have any issues with the PSU in the past and the computer is working fine now. That's the good part, that the rest of the computer hasn't been affected. It was a little bit strange though, because I was in the desktop, configuring settings, I wasn't "stretching" the card or something.

I have already returned the GPU to the store and it is being sent back for replacement.