Question ASUS Strix RX 470 Very High Temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGCPP

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
Hey guys!

Never had any issues in past with my GPU, never mined with it, I'm not even a big gamer, but recently since installing the new FIFA I started noticing plenty of problems.

First started tracking GPU temperature and noticed that in the game it would go up to 90 degrees Celsius.
At Idle it was 60. But it was still playable.

Also, it was showing 0rpm for fans, which was sus, so I decided to inspect it visually to notice that one fan wasn't working.

Decided to get another one in case that was directly pushing air in GPU which resulted in temps going up to 80 in games, which was alright...

For a month or two.

Suddenly temps increased again and now it was fully unplayable. It would literally go from 60 to 90 in 3 minutes and the games would start to lag(in all games).

So I changed thermal paste, for the first time ever after 5 years, and cleaned the dust, had some Cooler master thermal p.

Temps went like 15 celsius lower and I was very excited just to notice a few hours later it is going crazy again.

After some googling, decided to get another thermal paste, mx 6 which should be very good.

Started pc, and at idle it was around 45 great, in-game it was 75-80, with fps dropping every 10 sec from 90-100 to 30 and going back, which was also sus because never had those issues before.
What was good is that the amd overlay was showing the right GPU fan rpm, but I forgot to check did the other fan suddenly started working (btw that fan is wobbly).

RPM was going to around 1000, and when I tried to increase it to 1500 it was so loud I couldn't stand it.. literally too loud. (maybe the other fan that's not working suddenly started working?)

Left it at default in Adrenaline software.
A few hours later it's showing only 100 rpm even in games, temps are again going up to 90.
Restarted pc, showing 0 rpm and tried with other software like msi burner to control fan speed, not working, but ik its working...

Ordered another fan but it's coming from China in like a month...

Planning on buying a new GPU but waiting for like 4060 or 7600 xt, maybe will be forced to get 6650xt earlier.

Any ideas?? Fully removed drivers and installed new ones, and nothing changed.... is my GPU dying or is the other fan confusing software, or idk?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The RX470 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Although, if it was meeting your requirements, it would put you in an excellent position for low cost on a replacement.

If the rest of your system is of the same age as that graphics card, you should probably consider a new PSU as well.

DGCPP

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
The RX470 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Although, if it was meeting your requirements, it would put you in an excellent position for low cost on a replacement.

If the rest of your system is of the same age as that graphics card, you should probably consider a new PSU as well.
Recently got i3 12100f to be able to play FIFA at all.

I have 600W Fortron Aurum Gold, is that supposed to be good for something like 6650xt or should i start considering getting new psu also?

Thing is that if I could fix rx 470 and make it work properly, could sell it for like 100€ in place where I live. Thats like free PSU, a really good one.

Honestly, waiting for one of the newest cards would be a complete waste of time and money for you. If you're using an old RX 460, I have to assume that your CPU is old as well so you could buy an RTX 4090 and still get the same FPS performance as an RX 580 simply because your CPU can't go faster than that.

I would recommend an RX 580 because if you're happy with the 460's performance, you'd be VERY happy with an RX 580, its speed would fit your CPU much better and can get an RX 580 for dirt cheap right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.