Asus Strix RX 480 Coil Whine-Last Question

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
So iv'e been asking around on this forum about my coil whine. This is my second and last thread. I want to know why out of all my cards iv'e had.... R7 260X, Asus R9 290, Gigabyte R9 290, GTX 550 TI, I've never experienced coil whine. Until i pay a huge amount for this good GPU that whines? Should i return it? The product cleary states-
2X Quieter Choke
Decrease buzzing noise with concrete alloy chokes
Yet it has coil whine.

Solution

That depends on how bad it is, does it do it at idle? If its enough to hear clearly over my speakers or headphones yes I would return it. If it was quiet enough that I could easily ignore it, I would probably just live with it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The RX 480 has coil whine issues like many other cards. Not much you can do about it besides what company's like asus try to do, as you can see it doesn't always work. Sometimes changing power supply's can help but I would say more often than not it doesn't seem to do much. You can probably return it, but no guarantee your replacement wont do the same thing.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
I have the Raidmax Vampire 700W 80+ Gold Modular Continuous Power Supply-
I just don't understand why all the cards in the past iv'e had no coil whine issues with and never paid a premium for, but now i pay a large amount for the Strix RX 480 and it has coil whine? Even when they say "they have these specials chokes"?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well Raidmax has a pretty horrible reputation when it comes to power supply's, however I'm not sure about that particular model.

The amount of money you paid and the previous cards you owned have no bearing on whether a RX 480 is going to have coil whine, asus tried to mitigate it as many other company's also do and obviously didn't completely fix it even with their special chokes. Look up "RX 480 coil whine" on google you get quite a few results same for the gtx 1060. If its bad enough you can try to return it but like I said no guarantee your replacement wont do the same thing.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

That depends on how bad it is, does it do it at idle? If its enough to hear clearly over my speakers or headphones yes I would return it. If it was quiet enough that I could easily ignore it, I would probably just live with it.

Solution

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
Yes it doesn't coil whine on Idle. It only coil whines when I'm gaming. I mean i got the GPU for $289 but now it's on sale. So I dont think it will hurt to go return it and get a new one thats one sale. $20 less..... IM going to crossfire these cards and i don't want one that is screaming. I mean none of the cards before did this. And they were used .... not new!