Mar 18, 2019
Hello, im having a problem here. So my GPU somehow doesn't want to work, whenever I turn my PC on, it just directly use my onboard Vega 8. After some research, finally I notice that even my GPU is attached to the Pci-e slot, my motherboard couldn't detect it (it says the slot is empty). At first, I tried to update my BIOS to the latest version, it detected my GPU card and boot through it once. I thought it was going to be fine again, but after I did a restart, my motherboard couldn't detect my GPU again :(.

Things I've tried:
-re-attached my GPU and clean the pin
-disabled my integrated GPU > no display with DRAM LED turned on
-reset my bios
-downgrade and re-upgrade my bios version
-Checked CPU pins and made sure there are no bent pins, and changed the thermal paste
-Re-seat and cleaned my RAM
-Checked for loose cables
-Hold down my power button for 15 sec without power (saw this on youtube, but idk what for xD)
-Reinstalled my driver, uninstalled it with DDU first (apparently, only driver for my Vega 8 installed because the RX470 can't be detected)

PS:
I remember before this happened, my computer was lagging like crazy idk why. I tried to reinstall the driver with DDU and this thing happened. And I also noticed there was some kind of liquid like oil on my GPU board, i think it was coming out somewhere from my motherboard. The GPU still got power coming through it because the ROG logo is still on and LED_1 pci-e 6 pin indicator still bright white.

So is it the motherboard? (It's still new though, been awhile for 5 months), is it the powersupply? (Kinda old, 5 years already), is it the GPU? (Since 2017 normal use without OC), or is it the RAM? (Been awhile for 3 years)

Specification:
-Ryzen 3 2200G (OC'ed to 3.75Ghz with MSI boost)
-Avexir 8GB DDR4 PC19200
-MSI B350M Pro-VH
-Asus RX470 4GB STRIX
-Corsair CX600
-Apacer AS340 120GB SSD
-WDC Blue 1TB 7200rpm

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
You are connected (HDMI, DisplayPort etc) to the GPU itself and not the iGP on the motherboard, right?

Forgot to mention that too, but even I connected the HDMI to my GPU, it displayed nothing. Because my GPU isn't even detected by the motherboard :( also tried to change the HDMI cable in case it might be the cable, but still not working. Only my Vega 8 turned on and able to give an output.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, strange.

The "liquid oil" is concerning though - I would suggest trying to identify where it's coming from. May well be a leaking capacitor, although given the ages in question, would be rare...

Of the components, a 5year old CX600 would be my first thought before GPU or MB, but the liquid is a more pressing concern.

Mar 18, 2019
Hmmm, strange.

The "liquid oil" is concerning though - I would suggest trying to identify where it's coming from. May well be a leaking capacitor, although given the ages in question, would be rare...

Of the components, a 5year old CX600 would be my first thought before GPU or MB, but the liquid is a more pressing concern.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, i dont know where was it coming from, there are 3 capacitor (2x560 caps + 1x270 caps) above the liquid spot. They both seems dry for now, i think it's because i noticed it late.

For the PSU side, it still got my whole system powered on, my gpu fans' are spinning, LED turns on, and indicator for pcie power pin is also on though. It once detected by the motherboard right after updating my motherboard BIOS, but now it doesn't work again. Should I just RMA my motherboard? Or should I try to give a shot on a new PSU?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't rule out requiring a new MB (or GPU, depending on where the leak is coming from) AND a new PSU.

Honestly, the requirements for an LED or fan are negligible in the grand scheme of things. Even a junk PSU could power those.
At 5years old, the CX600 should be on your agenda to replace regardless.

Mar 18, 2019
I wouldn't rule out requiring a new MB (or GPU, depending on where the leak is coming from) AND a new PSU.

Honestly, the requirements for an LED or fan are negligible in the grand scheme of things. Even a junk PSU could power those.

(Update)
So I've done changing my PSU to Antec NeoEco Classic 550W, and also tried to change my motherboard to ASRock A320M Rev 4.0..

But still doesn't work :( what am I supposed to do, I've made sure that my VGA work on other rig, but dunno why it doesn't work on mine.

Mar 18, 2019
(Update)
So I've done changing my PSU to Antec NeoEco Classic 550W, and also tried to change my motherboard to ASRock A320M Rev 4.0..

But still doesn't work :( what am I supposed to do, I've made sure that my VGA work on other rig, but dunno why it doesn't work on mine.

Also, there is something odd, because everytime I plug off and replug the hdmi, there's like a feedback to the monitor like it's searching for my RX470 (goes blank) but after few second my monitor says no signal again. If I repeat the process it keeps giving feedback to the monitor.

And suddenly it worked for 4 times (Tried to restart it, worked. Tried to completely shut it down then turn it on again, also worked) but after those 4 times, i tried to OC the processor (through igpu, because my RX470 doesnt show bios) with MSI Game Boost to 3.75 Ghz and the RAM to 2800Mhz. But after that it doesn't want to work again. But the IGPU works just fine. The reason I want to OC my ryzen and my ram is somehow my RX470 didn't work as well as others in Unigine Heaven 4.0. Others got somewhere around 67++ fps on Ultra quality, Normal tesselation, 4x msaa, 1080p fullscreen, while mine only get 55 fps.